Can't accelerate with out dying

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaang

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok guys i got my xtm 24.7 running and it was idling ok. then i tried give it some gas and it dies. everytime i can get it to idle but once i try to accelerate it dies. anyone have any ideas really hurtin to drive this new engine and i can't get the thing to run properly

If it is diying when you just give it a little throtle, then it might be too lean. If it acellerates and at full it bogs and dies it is too rich.
Check it out and see.

when i touch the acceleratror it dies out doesn't even get going just dies as soon as i hit it

My bad.. I said it backwards, if it is diying when you just start giving throtle then it is too rich. Close the HSN 1/8 of a turn at a time and try again. Also, make sure you are letting the engine warm up properly before you get going. If your engine iddles properly without stoping for at least a minute the HSN should be the only thing to adjust.

thanks i will give that a try is there any possible way i have the clutch on backwards or anything if i have the clutch on backwards would the clutch bell just not move??? or what would happen?

I've never had an experience with a backward clutch shoe, but i think it would just not engage, so the engine would rev very high but not move the bell. It is just what I imagine would happen dough..

Damn that engine to hell. I am trying to get the same thing fixed on my friends Mammoth and it dies when you hit the gas. I did find that they were not tuning right and it was running too lean that the head was discolored to a light blue. I think now it has low compression. DO you know if the XTM 247 has a lot of compression ? I know the HPI engines have mad Compression.
Anyways the Manual says to reset the LSN you have to open the throttle manually WOT and then close it till it stops then back it out 8 1/2 turns. Damn that is a lot!!!Anyone know what the ISS is normally set to?

Originally posted by Zaang
thanks i will give that a try is there any possible way i have the clutch on backwards or anything if i have the clutch on backwards would the clutch bell just not move??? or what would happen?
The clutch works both ways. Some people prefer it trailing while others like it leading.

Originally posted by jon2
DO you know if the XTM 247 has a lot of compression ? I know the HPI engines have mad Compression.

If you think HPI's have mad compression then wait until you try a .21 European engine. Things are a damn tight fit. I couldn't start mine for at least a half gallon without a blow dryer. I also don't have the best starter box in the world but it has bumped over other branded non European engines over with no problem.

Last edited:
Originally posted by boricuanitro
If it is diying when you just give it a little throtle, then it might be too lean. If it acellerates and at full it bogs and dies it is too rich.
Check it out and see.
Not always. Alot of times when its like this it is runnign to lean and at WOT the carb is bringing in so much more air than fuel the engine isn't getting a good combustion. Usually when the engine is way rich at WOT it "misses," this sounds like a 4 cyclinder missing on a cyclinder. I say richen up your high end needle some.

Originally posted by Zaang
I've mistakenly put my clutch on backwards on my RS4 and I damn near never figured out why it wouldn't move. If your clutch is turned the wrong way then the enegine will just sit there and rev up alot and your car will never move, except for just a tiny bit from the vibration of the engine nudgeing the wheels along slightly.

Sounds like a tuning issue. If you have fiddled with the settings to no avail, I would reset the needles to factory and take it from there.

Originally posted by Waste Land
I've mistakenly put my clutch on backwards on my RS4 and I damn near never figured out why it wouldn't move. If your clutch is turned the wrong way then the enegine will just sit there and rev up alot and your car will never move, except for just a tiny bit from the vibration of the engine nudgeing the wheels along slightly.
Centrifical force opens the shoes which means they will open either way.

thanks guys gonna fiddle with the tuning tonight after work and see if i can get the damn thing moving what do you think the difference in power will be from the .21 to the xtm .247?

Zaang-

I had the exact same problem on my .247. Mine ended up being a lean issue. Richen it up and see what happens, the problem should dissipate as you richen over a period of time.

Also, El Pirata is correct about the clutch shoes, the shoes will come out on their axis regardless of which direction they're spinning. Hard to defeat physics.

Originally posted by SlingItX
Also, El Pirata is correct about the clutch shoes, the shoes will come out on their axis regardless of which direction they're spinning. Hard to defeat physics.
I know!

Originally posted by El Pirata
Centrifical force opens the shoes which means they will open either way.
Yes, they will open but they wont grab. The surface area used to grab the inside the clutch bell is faceing the wrong direction so it does nothing.

The clutch acts like a back of a car. If the car is turned really fast and sharply the rear end of the car is pulled out. Lets say the fly wheel turns counter clockwise in this picture. The clutch shoes would sling open makeing the circled area hit the clutch bell and hook on.

326311.JPG

If the clutch is reversed the wrong part of the clutch will be opened making the wrong area touch the clutch bell houseing and it will no grab just slid around for no reason as in this picture.

326333.JPG

I understand that gravity will pull the clutch out but it dosent mean it will grab. Trust me, any of you guys, take ur clutch apart and put the shoes backwards and you'll see. My RS4 's clutch wouldnt engage until I fliped over the shoes.

I'm not sure if the XTM has a slipper clutch or shoes but here my explaination...Sorry for getting ::OT::

Last edited:
[OFF TOPIC]

Waste Land-

With all due respect (and if I understand you correctly) the base of the clutch shoe can't possibly contact the clutch bell - THAT is its pivot point. The same portion of the shoe clockwise or counterclockwise will contact the clutch bell every time. The base of the shoe is anchored by the pin on the flywheel.

Re: [OFF TOPIC]

Originally posted by SlingItX
Waste Land-

With all due respect (and if I understand you correctly) the base of the clutch shoe can't possibly contact the clutch bell - THAT is its pivot point. The same portion of the shoe clockwise or counterclockwise will contact the clutch bell every time. The base of the shoe is anchored by the pin on the flywheel.
The bottom is the way the clutch would open if it was put on backwards. The top pic is the way it opens regular way. If you put it on backwards the black circled area would be opened and would not grab. Understand or did I make the understand worse, lol

Re: Re: [OFF TOPIC]

The pins on the clutch are a pivot point. Regardless of the direction of motion the centrifical force will pull the free end out. Since the pin will not pull out because it is stationary but the free ends will. Here's a quick and crude face view:
clutch.JPG

If you don't believe this go to any playground that has a merry go round. Hold one of the bars and spin the merry go round either direction and your body will feel pressure exerted on it to pull you off.

We are argueing the same point except for one part. If u get ont he merry go around and spin it your body will go out and i understand that. But your body will spin to one side or the other depending on roatation. And if the wrong part of the clutch is extending and not the long curved part of the clutch then it wont grab.