Can you guys check my research?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavidhicks

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all:

I'm ready to ditch the stock battery and radio boxes on the Maxx and do the hump pack thing. Blazer's sending me a carbon fiber radio tray and I'm buying the JR XS3 radio.

Some related pieces I'm looking at are here:

Hump pack. No big deal here as far as I can tell.

http://store.savage-central.com/product_info.php?products_id=262

JR TX/RX charger. This looks good.

http://store.savagess.com/product_info.php?products_id=312&osCsid=52b445e917d6ba9a69dcb72d5e3c543c

This is a Hobbico switch harness. I'm pretty sure I want this.

http://store.savagess.com/product_info.php?products_id=308&osCsid=e19e218edc464de56a3d059abc94e1c7

If I have that switch harness do I need this Ernst charge receptacle doodad? Or is this just an anchoring point for what would be a loose connector on the switch harness?

http://store.savagess.com/product_info.php?products_id=310

TIA guys!

Dave

it all looks good to me, looks like u got everything u need. the battery has the right connections to hook up to the charger and on/off switch. so u should be good to go. I dont think u need those black plastic holder things. a couple of zip-ties will work.

later

here is a pic of my battery pack set up. i made a on/off switch holder/ splash gaurd out of scrap lexan.

Just a word of caution on the JR TX.
If you plan on using a charger with it, it takes a JR specific charger. JR reversed the positive and negative inside the radio.

I know you didn't mention wanting to use a charger on the TX, this is just an FYI.

You may want to rethink your charger if you are going to use it on the TX I noticed it only goes up to 1400 mah. What if you decide to use 2000 mah bats in your TX?

You may want to look for one that is JR compatible.

-Ed

Last edited:
I bought my jr tx charger at hobbytown. It came with crappy nicads. I use radio shack nimh and keep a close eye on the volts and temp of the batteries as the charger was intended for nicad, not nimh. The radio shack bats seem to be pretty good. I made 5 cell rx packs for the truck out of them and use a charger from RS that was intended for something else. But it's switchable from Hi-cap/standard and nicad/nimh. A little wire and solder here and there and i have a frankenmaxx.

hicks is finally getting rid of the alkalines and the pos traxxas radio...wow amazing really.

This is the good stuff I need! (Except for nitro dave, maybe..)

I'll do some more research on basic properties of chargers, nimh vs. nicad batteries and their milliamp ratings.

A string of 2000mah batteries connected in series is still a 2000mah battery pack, right?

Oh yeah. I was walking out to my mailbox the other day when all of a sudden the clouds parted and I was surrounded in brilliant pure white light. There was a chorus of angels and an authoritative voice boomed: "Dave... Get a new radio!"

So you use this charger for your TX batteries only, right Eddy?

Yes, and all my other toys that use AA and 9v. I have had it for years and it just keeps going and going and going.

Here is the charger I use for everything else. It has a JR switch for the TX but heats up a bit with 2000nds. I use it in the field for my TX if I'm out all day. It also peak charges a TX, RX, and glow stick all at the same time. The only drawback is its DC only
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=HAN114

-Ed

Last edited:
Hey Dubya,

Do you have a good peak charger like a Supernova or a Triton? I have one of each and use them both for everything, tx, rx, glow chargers, car batts, plane batts, vampire batts...

Good call on the XS3 radio too!

I've got tons of ac adapters laying around the house. I even went and bought one of those Radio Shack multi-purpose adapters a while ago for general purposes, 1000ma, switchable voltage - 3, 4.5, 6, 9 & 12, seven different plugs, each with reversible polarity. That's what... 70 different adapters in one?

But, no... I have no peak chargers designed to charge batteries to their full potential.

I wouldn't mind spending a little cash and getting a decent AA cell charger like the first one Eddy linked, and then a second one for the RX pack.

Hey Eddy, you say that Double Vision charger is DC only? As in alligator clips to your car battery but no 110v AC cord? That link seemed like it had every bit of info except what the input is; and the picture is incomplete.

I'm gonna do some searchin' on Supernova and Triton, Scott. Have any store preferences?

DC only as in alligator clips, or cig. lighter.

One cool thing not mentioned in the description is that the alligator clips are tight but ever so gentle when used on your nipples. At least thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

-Ed

I am deeply indebted to you all!

My daughter was with me today, Eddy. We went to a Tacoma hobby shop and watched them race electric cars for awhile. We were looking at radios and batteries and servos and such.

We were looking at the ProLine bodies and she asked if they had any minivans. I told her I didn't think so. She said that was too bad as I could get one and put soccer balls on it and letter it Psycho Soccer Mom!

I was surfin' the forum here later and she saw your one sig sign "Go on. Pinch a Loaf" and started cracking up. I told her "Wait, there's more!". We had a good laugh watching the signs go by.

Today was a good day.

The Triton is the ultimate charger. It is expensive, and is only really needed by anyone using lithium-polymer batteries. That is why I bough one. But I think it is worth the $130 because you could spend nearly that much buying 2 or 3 other chargers with limited apps. Plus you could save money in the long run by not damaging your batteries. An uncontrolled power supply will definitly do harm to itself or a battery.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJG7&P=7

I would suggest getting the Ernst charge receptacle. You are correcct it is just a anchoring point for the charge cord. That way you can Dremel a little section in the box or where ever you want it and mount it. All of the items you have listed I purchased from Savage-Central to covert my Savage to a hump pack and I have been very happy. The only difference was I used the Trinity 1100 mAh pack. Congrats on the XS3. You will love it! I am assuming you got the 75Mhz version.

Newnitrofan mentioned another charger in a different post.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD5&P=7

I'm convincing myself that down the road I'll need something better than an ac wall-adapter-type charger... This IS getting expensive. I definitely want something AC/DC. (yeah, yeah, very funny...) Some of those field charger models are sweet. I may get a field unit with a separate 12v power supply if an AC/DC integrated model doesn't fit the bill.

Yes, mcvickj... The oldest pm in my profile is a response from you about questions I had on the XS3. I've kept it as a reference point. It'll be the 75mhz. I'll probably be clicking the "buy now" button tonight on that!

Did I tell you guys that the kids got all the Christmas presents and I didn't get nuthin?

Back