Can I convert non-pullstart to pullstart (OS cr-v)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millerracer

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got an os.18 cr-v, but it isn't pull-start. Is the back-plate interchangeable to convert it ot pullstart?

How easy is the process?

Well, it's not hard, but not as simple as it looks. There's one big issue. Yes, the backplates swap easily. However, you'd have to buy a new crankshaft. Because a pullstart crank has a pin where the rod attaches that extends into the pullstart mechanism and allows the PS to engage the crankshaft. This is missing on a non-PS engine.

you will also need a starter shaft and a one way bearing as well as the crank and ps assembly The back plates are different too and will also need to be replaced. It's not difficult, but I think you are going to find the parts may cost you nearly the same as just buying a new OS 18 CVRX for around $100

ok then - next question... Can I use a box starter to start a car that has a pull-start? If so, then I might just get a box starter for this motor and my HPI 15fe that is on my RS4-3.... would that be the best solution?

just to add to that - I can just pull the one-way bearing off and the pull-start assembly if I use a box starter right? and leave the back plate exposed? Saves weight too :)

You can use a starter box on a PS engine. Don't worry about the one way and stuff. The one way will just spin when you use the box.

is it as simple as buying a starter box? or will I need some special flywheel and motor mounts for both motors?