Busted clutch??? transmission???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-alec

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I started up my sport-maxx yesterday and it went WOT. I was holding it cause it was just started, and I finally figured out my idle trim switch was up all the way.
I lowered it, and tryed to start driving but it would only rev up and roll very slowly. :puke: what do you think it is???
-Alec

If you were holding it on the ground, most likely the clutch overheated. If you let it cool down, it might work again.
If it doesn't, there's the possibility that you burned out the slipper clutch.
I'd suggest starting it cold, and see what happens. If it still won't pull, take the slipper apart. I've seen these melt completely.

Okay thanks I have the transmission apart, I will check it out tommorow.
-Alec

t-alec, you should not have to take the trans apart or even out of the rig to check the slipper clutch. Also, did you follow Rolex's advice and try to run the rig after you let it cool down in case it was the clutch overheating?

I took it out just in case to check if there was any stripped gears. In the afternoon i am going to try to run it and post back.

-Alec

Keep us posted. If it ate a gear, post the part number or ID as I am curious which ones tend to strip first. I had a similar problem while breaking in my T-Maxx.

The gears inside are all good,now i just need to take the slipper off. Where is it??? lol i never had a problem with the clutch so i dont kno.

The slipper is what holds the Spur gear in place. It is the two discs with the 2 metal rings on them and they push against the spur gear. If that isn't tight enough, it slips and makes the truck not move.

On the slipper clutch beneath the plates and passing through the spur gear are 5 little red pegs. If they are flush to the spur gear surface they are worn out and need to be replaced. If they are OK, then when you re-assemble the spur gear and slipper clutch assembly to the trans, make sure it is adjusted properly. The proper initial setting is to turn the screw on the end of the shaft so as to tighten it all the way to the spur gear, and then back it off 1/4 turn.

Back