Burned out a Titan 12 turn motor in 3 runs?!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truggy83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I figured I would give it a go at making my ruckus have a little more speed. I replaced the 20 turn motor 19 tooth pinion with a 12 turn Traxxas titan and I used the same 19 tooth pinion that was on the 20 turn. I broke it in for a few minutes driving on concrete mainly and varying my speed. All was fine until today. We were running it and hitting some jumps. All of a sudden it acted like the battery was dying. It was getting up to speed at all. Eventyally it stopped all together. We thought it was the battery. I put another battery in and the steering servo operated but the car wouldn't move. We tried other batteries and they all did the same thing. I unplugged the titan and plugged the 20 turn dynamite motor in and it worked.

I am assuming I blew the titan. I am new to the hole electric thing and mainly run nitro so I don't know much about them. What would cause the motor to die so quickly. In order to get the Titan to fit I had to remove the outter covering that goes around the motor that has the sticker that says titan on it. I also had to drill a small hole in the plastic as the titan motor shaft was a little too long and was hitting the plastic cover. I drilled a hole for the shaft to fit through so I don't think it was that. I only checked the temp once today when it was running and it was almost around 200 aiming the sensor inbetween the red and black wires on the end. The casing was registering around 100 or so I think.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

I sprayed some cleaner into the motor and it still wouldn't work. I pushed on the shaft and the motor started working again. This is very strange. It has been working so far now.

I had the same problem with my rustler and the first replacement motor.... and now the newest one runs great...... but I have heard 160 is the highest you wanna run them motors....

Can the titan 12 turn be rebuilt?
I stopped rewinding motors when i got outa slotcars and thats what happened the windings broke down and shorted.
Cheaper just to get a new one. When your running less turns you need a little smaller pinion they lack torque and have more speed.You would be better sticking with a 17 or 19 turn double wound same gearing it'll give you better performance.A motor with less turns eats a battery faster and are very high maintance.Generaly work better in light weight vehicals .:D

Just took it out for a test run. It seems like it lost some power and is having a hard time making it through the grass

I think they are messing up on those motors cause I was thinking that with the rustler I have.... I put a set of the stampede tires on the back to see how it did... I only ran a couple batt.s that way and I watched my temps of the motor the whole time............. I am thinking of slowly turning them all brushless because when the kids use them I can tone them down to 1/2 power or just let them learn how to controle the power so they get better at racing.......... I was wondering if the titan 775 motor would be able to be slapped into the rustler or bandit.. obviously I will have to get a different esc... I just dont want to strip the rusty down if it isn't going to fit and someone else has already tried it............. Let me know what you think I would say throw the next step in motors on your buggy.......... I think some of them 12 turn titans work and some just are paper wieghts...... Hope you figure out your prob... and if you decide to get a new motor let us know...