Built a coffin for my halloween decorations.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i love halloween, and have been slowly adding to my decorations each year. This year i decided to step it up a notch and attempt to make my own props. I built a coffin, but shaped it so that it looks like it is still part in the ground. It is framed with 1x2 lumber, and 1/4 plywood, and skinned in boards from some old pallets i snagged from the dumpster at work. i used some black spray paint to cover up the clean edges of the wood where i had to cut it, and blacked out the inside.

Eventually it will me animated, and motion activated. The lid will lift up and down, a red light will light up inside, there will be fog inside, and possibly a knocker to make it sound like something is in there trying to get out. I still need to get some fake chains to wrap around it, but the coffin itself is basically done.

Hope you enjoy! Anyone else make there own stuff?
2010-09-29210220.jpg

2010-10-02152115.jpg

2010-10-02155341.jpg

2010-10-03102253.jpg

2010-10-03111412.jpg

2010-10-03111402.jpg

2010-10-03111349.jpg

Great job man that looks great!

Looks great. You only need leaves around it when you set it up, to look like it's part way in the ground. Any good hardware will sell plastic garden trim chain (usually in yellow or white) that you can paint to look rusty.
Looking forward to seeing the whole set up.

yea i need to go get the chain. I was going to use the fake chain from a halloween store, but its pretty expensive. I only have about $30 in the coffin right now, so i dont want to jack the price up.

once i set up the yard, i will rake up some leaves and pine needles to put around it. I also have 2 zombies 4 headstones, and a set of zombie hands to put out.

rolex, how would i paint to to look rusty? your good at making stuff look old.

rolex, how would i paint to to look rusty? your good at making stuff look old.

Spray it all brown, then with a brush, stipple and streak different light and dark browns, light flat orange and some silver or gray. The gray would be chain where the rust has worn off. Some colors should be glossy, and others flat. Some stippling of black by spraying lightly from a distance and letting it free fall should give the final effect.
You did a great job aging the wood, so I'm sure you'll get just as good of an effect on the rusty chains.

man that sounds like a lot of work! I will see what i come up with. Maybe paint it flat black, then rust it, that way it looks like wrought iron chain.

That's looks great.

Nice job!

got a green light, socket, fogger, and a timer today. still need to do some work on my headstones, set up my zombies, spots, and other bits.

i need to get the chain, and a fake hand to put in the lid. its gonna ROCK!

2010-10-04210046.jpg

2010-10-04210127.jpg

2010-10-04210139.jpg

still need to figure out how to protect the fogger from rain.

still need to figure out how to protect the fogger from rain.

find a cardboard box to fit over it, with enough room for air to flow thorugh so it does not over heat.. cut the ends off of it for the air flow.. and then take a layer of plastic sheet and glue it on the cardboard

Last edited:
That thing is looking nice, all we do is sit around and paint at Halloween:D

happyhalloween3.gif

Video of the fog and light.

[ame="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v442/beason/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=video-2010-10-06-19-59-55.mp4"]Mobile Uploads :: video-2010-10-06-19-59-55.mp4 video by beason - Photobucket[/ame]

That's alot of work looks good, I just goto my local funeral home n barrow a casket n corps.....tends to add a certain creepy feel.....jk

Sent from my Droid

finished product. yard set up. will adjust the lights and take more pics after dark.

2010-10-09133532.jpg

2010-10-09133543.jpg

2010-10-09133521.jpg

Back