Building 1/8th scale offroad backyard track.. use Clay or regular dirt??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVO RACER

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hello I'm building a 1/8 scale track in my backyard in a few weeks. but i was wondering if it would be better to use clay dirt or regular dirt? I've seen a couple tracks that are just regular. i know they are more maintence but it looks like they can be more rough and technical. what do u think? i have acces to both btw.

clay tracks are always better as far as maintonance. but they are more expensive. i would love to see an astro turf track. maintonance free and no wash out/ruts. if you ever decide to take down the clay track you'll have to remove it all couse you wont have any grass. you can buy astro turf pretty cheap from a wholesaler

Since you have access to both, I would go with the clay.

I used both in mine.50/50 its turning out nice.The clay stays where ya put it for sure,but the reg dirt offers some technical stuff like you mentioned.

JC

I would stick with clay for the features (jumps, tabletops, berms) and use dirt or a dirt/clay mix for the rest of the track. Once the clay gets packed in it won't wear hardly at all and means less maintenance on your features. More dirt than clay if you want to be able do some rough stuff as the dirt will divot & wear faster that way.

Bear in mind that straight clay sections will be very slippery after wetting them down.

Back