Build Thread-Thunder Tiger EB4 S3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericke1

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 QUESTIONS (ADVICE NEEDED)

After 1 year of wasting time, I'm finally going to begin building my Thunder Tiger EB4 S3. I know Diver made some helpful suggestions a year ago but want to refresh the thinking before I begin buidling.

WHAT I HAVE

The Kit, Airtronics MX-3S, Sirio Kanai EVO 2 Engine, Saxton Setup Sheets

WHAT I NEED

Servos, Pipe and Manifold and Option Parts

WHAT I NEED HELP WITH

1. What option parts should I get? I know there was a suggestion to either get the Racer's Edge parts or the King Headz towers, and other option parts- see below:

Rear towers

http://www.racers-edge.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=24362

Front towers

http://www.racers-edge.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=24363&cat=503&page=1

KING Headz

http://kingheadz.com/partzlinktigers3.html

WHICH ARE GOOD UPGRADES?

2. Servos:

I was originally looking at the Hitec 5965mg and 5945mg to save on cost. Other suggestions were the Futabe 9351 and 9451-any thoughts?

3. Pipe and Manifold

I was leaning towards the JP2 pipe-any other suggestions.

4. Oils

I was thinking of doing a 5/7/3 setup for the differential oils and 40/50 for the shocks-any thoughts?

The most obvious question is what will I be using the buggy for-well I guess it depends on how it performs and therefore think assume racing, offroad and all the good stuff this buggy was built for. Obviously I would like to save as much money as I can. So please keep that in mind.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I run an S9350 and S9451. They are awesome servo's. I've never had any problem with them and performance is superb. I've seen major rc magazines test/run the S3 with the exact same servo setup...

I have very few upgrades on my S3 though. The only things I've upgraded are the rear pivot blocks (front and rear). There are multiple options for the [rear] rear because of optional toe settings. I've avoided spending more money than is reasonable on upgrades because I felt that it was more important for me to learn how to keep it rightside up. That's by far the best solution for durability. One option that I currently do not have but intend to buy is the aluminum servo kit.. Kind of expensive but you'll definately want to beef that up. I've cracked two stock belcranks so far. I've seen and heard that the KindHeadz center diff brace is a good option. However, I don't care for the downsides. The stock aluminum center braces have a tendency to break, primarily the rear one from what I've noticed. KingHeadz has a one piece brace which is proven to be bulletproof. The problem is that it makes the chassis SO stiff that it will causes stress cracks in the tunnel section of the chassis, I've seen the cracks start at the screw holes for the bulks and at the corners of the milled out areas (like beside the engine). My opinion is to stay with the stockers and always keep a couple extra handy. I havn't tried the TTR red ones so I don't know if the are any stronger. I say stick with two pieces. That CF plate probably absorbs quite a bit of shock when you wreck.

Last edited:
Thanks, best prices I'm finding is 79.99 and 99.99 less 25 dollars at tower, any other deals-any ideas on the hopups, which are/going to make a difference in surability and performance

Oh, thought of one more thing. You need to upgrade the long screws that attach the wing mounts to the bulkhead. They just aren't strong enough. If the buggy lands hard upside on the wing it will almost certainly bend those screws somewhat. The stockers are M3x18. I installed some Racers Edge Stainless Steel M3x23. The length won't be a problem. I can't say that they are any stronger but mine haven't bent [yet].

Is there a big differnece between the Racer's Edge and King Headz towers? Can you send me a link for the screws?

not really sure. they are both 7075 aluminum I think. I'm not sure if the screws I got were Racers Edge or not. I just know they are stainless steel and they are M3x20

Last edited:
you should consider the ACE servos. amain has some for 77 dollars. they are supposed to be really good servos. I'm going to be getting those, when my 94358's die.