Buggy Tires/Glue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyD

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sup fellas me again hehe

Is there a trick to glueing buggy tires because i think i may of just messed up a rim and tire. i put glue on the dish as i had the tire turned inside out near the edge of the rim that i was gonna glue, so i layed even small bead of glue onto the rim in the groove where the tire will sit and then folded over the tire and into the grooves but there was a small section where the tire didnt go fully into the groove! tryed to fix it and had to pull it apart cause it didnt look right... shoulda known better, hate glueing tires ! lol
Anyway i can get that crazy glue off of the tire and rim without damaging it?

Always pre-fit, pre-fit, pre-fit. During the manufacturing process there will be spots (flahsing) that is left over from the mold and gets in the way when you try and glue. Trim, clean things up and assemble everything dry. Once you are happy with the fit, simply pull back the tire from the rim (not off the rim), just pull it away a little and then apply your glue. Some folks like to spot glue and others prefer to run a bead all the way around. I like to use the thicker, slower acting CA glue. It gives me a little time to work with it before it dries. You can clean things up with a little fingernail polish remover (non-acetone type). They also market a product that is specially meant to remove CA glue.

thx man ill try that :)

I prefer the slower drying thicker CA glue as well. It's much easier to work with. I do the spot glue method and it works very well; the tires are nice and balanced and I have not had the tires seperate from the rims one single bit.

Someone posted a link to a super duper guide for gluing tires, you can probably find it with a search. It's how I learned to glue my tires well.

I do prefer to glue my own tires. It's not because I like doing it; it takes a long time and you end up with CA glue all over your fingers, but you get to make sure the foam is seated correctly, that there are holes drilled out on the rims, and you get to choose your own color.

About removing CA glue, I thought that you wanted acetone to remove it? That's what I read in that guide anyways. But I will say that this nail polish remover with acetone I have doesn't even come close to removing CA glue so you must be right.

Gluing tires is a pain in the butt no matter what anyone says. I went out and got Ofnas tire mounter to see if it is any easier. I haven't used it yet, just got my tires so will try it out this week and let people know how it works.

take a look

damm ryhton we were thinking the same thing at the same time.thats scarry......or is it great minds think alike....

Originally posted by zandor22
damm ryhton we were thinking the same thing at the same time.thats scarry......or is it great minds think alike....
I am leaning towards the great minds one..............lol

Glue

Are you sure CA-thick is good to use? I always thought CA-Medium was the best for tires. Let me know, i need to buy some for mine.

i use the slower drying kind also.. but just to get the tires set.. and ready.. then i run a beat of the thin glue all the way around.. i tried just only the slower.. but i didnt like it.. i really like the faster drying kind.. but gotta be fast..

Re: Glue

Originally posted by Ericke1
Are you sure CA-thick is good to use? I always thought CA-Medium was the best for tires. Let me know, i need to buy some for mine.

Well, I dunno. The kind I used was just "CA+" glue from Zap-a-gap. I don't know if it's thick or medium, but it's not watery like the normal CA glue is.

I think that normal thin ca glue holds things together the best but for tires the CA+ seems to work very well, I've never had the rubber seperate yet.