Brushless to Direct driveline configuration

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoviudez

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Like everyone else wanting to go brushless with their nitro engine truck as an option for faster or less messy runtime. I too would like to go brushless in the future. I want to ask the more experienced hobbyist in this forum about their opinion of a direct to driveline configuration. I'm pretty sure there will be alot of pros and cons. One pro I could think of is less spur gear to worry about. Before anything else, I plan to install this on a savage x. I just need to figure out a diy motor mount, like a guy did with some L-shaped aluminum stock, on a different forum found here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6634451/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm. So the idea is to have the “right” brushless motor where the shaft is directly connected to the output yoke, which is connected to the dog bone, that drives the wheels. I have attached a photo for you guys to have an idea what I’m talking about. The motor shaft needs to be long enough in order to attach 2 output yokes for 4x4 configuration. Any ideas is highly appreciated.
directdriveline.jpg

With the technology of brushless motors and ESC today, I am hoping they are now stronger than previous motors. Some ESC even provide the "brakes" using just the motor. At first I thought it will just mess up the differentials because of the extreme force transferred to it. Or worst it might just damaged or burn either the motor or ESC from running too hard. Those are some of the ideas I'm thinking it might happen. Can anyone confirm this? I figured with just the right motor and strong ESC, this might work.

It would be too much strain on the motor-esc. Thats why there is different gear setups. I see fire in this project.

There is also the probability of breaking the motor shaft with a hard landing. It's better to use gears and/or a slipper to allow the shearing force to take out something less expensive.

The only thing i could see direct drive working on is on a boat.

Is it possible yes.

To buy the correct motor and battery setup would be well over 1K and you would still need an esc to handle the load.

You would need a massive motor with a very low KV, minimum 5mm shaft and i would probably go with 8mm. Then you would need some serious batteries as well. 6S would be a bare minimum IMO and 12S would be more like it.