Brushless setup for reliable hot weather bashing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK4900PA

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have an old Rustler XL-5 that my son has become comfortable enough with that I'd like to upgrade the motor and REC to make it more interesting. I live in East Texas so it can get ridiculously hot. I'm not looking to set land speed records. A legitimate 40mph is sufficient. My primary concerns are ESC/MOTOR temps and run time. The only Lipo batteries I own are 4s so I'll be buying new ones anyway. I was looking at the Mamba X with a 1410 3800kv and some SMC 3s 6000mAh batteries. Is there anything out there that would better suit my needs? Anything that would do it at a lower price point?

i recently got a Hobbywing max10 (non SCT version) with 3300kv motor for a granite and so far seems to keep cool (much heavier and 4wd so takes alot more strain) , i have a novatech 70A esc and 3300kv motor (was from an old brushless Exceed/HSP) on a rustler and is doing quite well surprisingly. hobbywing setup was about 106$ shipped on amazon.
i have not yet run the hobbywing on lipo.

i am wondering if 3s is going to be alot for that truck. i had a chance to run 2s with the novatech esc combo, and it was lots of power.

That hobbywing combo looks really good for the $$$. If I was only going to get 2s batteries would the 4000k be a better choice?

I have the HW Max10 sct/3200kv system in my stampede and on 3S I was overheating the motor the last time out. I've only run it a few times and was guessing at gearing to use. I'm not sure of it's speed, but it's definitely heavier than your rustler. I just swapped the HW 3200kv 3660sl motor out yesterday for a hobbystar 3665 3100kv. Still using the same esc as it seemed to work fine before. I'm hoping the bit longer motor will add a bit more torque and help keep heat down with gearing I want to run. I still need to check it for speed as I haven't done that since I started running 3S in it. I do know it's faster, but not how much. I just know a jump I could only clear on fresh 2S before I can clear repeatedly with a ton of room to spare now.

I also ran a converted e-jato with the traxxas vxl-3s esc and castle 3800kv motor and it did fine on 3S with an esc and motor fan. It was geared around 45mph. The motor did get hot though. I'm trying out a hobbystar 3200kv 3660 in it now, bit more torque. I haven't it run it in the heat yet. Guessing it's also heavier than your rustler since it was nitro before and has alloy chassis.

I use a SMC 7200mah 3S pack I built out of old SMC 7200mah 2S packs.

I do know that if your trying to hit 45'ish on 2S, you will likely run into heat issues. It's easier to reach that on 3S while having fans to keep things cool do their job.

Hoping the rain holds off so I can finally run these things this weekend. I haven't run an RC in a month. Then I'll know more about the setups and how they do. Also need to charge my old garmin so I can check speeds...

Looking at the hobbywing setups and have a question.

1- Max10 ESC
3652 3300kv motor
11.1V 5000mAh Lipo

2- Max10 ESC
3652 5400kv motor
7.4V 8200mAh lipo

These two setups have similar battery capacity and motor rpm. Assuming they were both geared to have the exact same top speed, say 40mph, which one would have the lower ESC and/or motor temps? Which one would have the longer runtime?

I think I'm going to spend the extra couple bucks and get the MAX10 SCT and 3200kv 3660sl motor with some SMC 8000mAh 3S batteries. It's probably overkill for the little rustler, but with conservative gearing I'm thinking it should have no problem pushing the 4.5lb rustler to 40mph and stay cool in the process.

I think I'm going to spend the extra couple bucks and get the MAX10 SCT and 3200kv 3660sl motor with some SMC 8000mAh 3S batteries. It's probably overkill for the little rustler, but with conservative gearing I'm thinking it should have no problem pushing the 4.5lb rustler to 40mph and stay cool in the process.
I would definitely think so and would still be a good combo if you ever decide to run 4s. Either in that rig or the next one you may get.

Too add to the mile long PM I replied to you with, the 8000mah 3S pack will be substantially heavier than a 7200mah 2S pack. When I started running the 7200mah 3S vs the 7200mah 2S in my stampede, I had to stiffen up the oil in the shocks and the springs. Even then, if I went much stiffer, it deforms my RPM arms where the shocks mount. I had to do the same on my eJato as I switched from the 7200 2S to 72003S in it as well.

I prefer moderate MaH batteries, typically 5-6000Mah range. I find that size good in that they aren't too heavy, you get a reasonable run time. I figure the slightly shorter run time is kinda like a forced break for the vehicle while I change batteries, give it a quick once over looking for breakages which also allows it to cool a little

I'd personally keep things at 3300kv or less if heat is the primary concern.
Another vote her for a hobby wing combo.