Brushless motor tear down

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor1410

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi friends, i have taken apart my reedy/hobbywing 3300 kv brushless motor as not working and having 2 young kids i took it apart and then weeks went by before having time time to do it and have forgotten how to put back together. I can't recal what side the shims and spacer goes and in which order. Any help be appreciated. Many thanks adam.

Is it a Reedy or a Hobbywing? Also what is the exact model of the motor?

Hi, it is a reedy 540-Sl4 3300kV Sensorless Brushless Motor AS907

No experience with the specific Reedy motor you are working on, but what I always was taught was put the rotor into the can with no shims. Your rotor should center itself in the can by way of the magnetic pull. Ideally, having a dial indicator setup would get you some exact numbers, but you assemble it without the shims. Then press in on the motor shaft to check how far it moves. Then put that appropriate shim in the back of the can. Repeat with the front, after you have the back figured out, but this time pull the shaft towards the front cover to find out the shim size needed in front.

Whether this applies to your motor or not, I cannot say for sure. But getting the rotor riding in the stator in the position the magnetic pull wants it to be (in free state) should be the ideal place for it to be shimmed to sit, to create the least friction.

Maybe @tntpoof can chime in here? I am sure he has torn down his share of motors.

This isnt your exact motor but hopefully this video helps. I dont have that exact motor so I dont know for sure personally. The Reedy sonic motors and from what I understand most 540 can motors usually have 1 spacer on either side of the rotor. The basic concept though is you want the rotor to sit where it wants to within the magnetic field of the stator (the can) with just a wee bit of "end float" which basically just means theres a wee bit of back and forth when pushing/pulling on the rotor.

This isnt your exact motor but hopefully this video helps. I dont have that exact motor so I dont know for sure personally. The Reedy sonic motors and from what I understand most 540 can motors usually have 1 spacer on either side of the rotor. The basic concept though is you want the rotor to sit where it wants to within the magnetic field of the stator (the can) with just a wee bit of "end float" which basically just means theres a wee bit of back and forth when pushing/pulling on the rotor.

Thank you very much. That seems to help. Motor stopped working and thought maybe was bearings, they did seem fine though so could be something else. It did spin ok but no power to it. First time i took one apart, more experiment as felt it was fatal. Many thanks for knowledge

Thank you very much. That seems to help. Motor stopped working and thought maybe was bearings, they did seem fine though so could be something else. It did spin ok but no power to it. First time i took one apart, more experiment as felt it was fatal. Many thanks for knowledge
Glad it helped :)

Back