broke connecting rod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

424wrx

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hello. i have a spare 3.3 with a broken conn rod. is it worth it to just throw another rod into the engine? the rod split down the center! engine ran fine until that happened! i have a roller revo that i want to throw that engine into. my running revo has a new engine. what would you guys recomend?

Its a common issue. Theres an aftermarket rod or you can go to another engine manufacturer

Check out rb mods or a davids diesel rod. The davids diesel is gonna be the strongest.

i have a traxxas conn rod coming. i hope i can salvage the piston and sleeve. a small piece of the bottom of the piston skirt is broke off. see what happens i guess. its just gonna be a back up engine if everything works after the rebuild.

Good luck, I think you'll have tuning issues, if you can even get it started. Keep us posted.

Off topic, do you own a subie pushin 424 hp? I must see this if so, I had an 05 and loved the hell out of it.

get some marvel mystery oil from W/W. to lube the inside of the engine, before you start it. put on ALL moving parts.

i have an 08 wrx with a vf52 turbo and stage 3 setup pushing 22 pounds of boost. it has bilstein suspension as well. its about 380hp at the crank. the 424 is my road address, i use that username everywhere.
021.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:26 AM ----------

i looked the old ones over yesterday. i dont think its worth it. the piston gets very tight near the top. i also found a seller that has bare 3.3 engines on ebay for like 95 shipped. it has no carb either. i have all the parts from this engine. might go that way too.

Man i bet that wrx will get somewhere FAST!!!!

Nice car man, if you have experianced a winter or 2 in it, you will really know how to drive her.

Heres my 05 I wish I still had...

05 Cobb Stage 2, turbo-back exhaust,catless up-pipe, stock turbo, short shift, turbo timer. Nothin too radical but pushin 17lbs was PLENTY to knock out 90% of the competition.
P1030240.jpg

i looked the old ones over yesterday. i dont think its worth it. the piston gets very tight near the top. i also found a seller that has bare 3.3 engines on ebay for like 95 shipped. it has no carb either. i have all the parts from this engine. might go that way too.

Thats a good thing, that means the the piston and sleeve aren't worn out and still have their "pinch". If your piston wasn't cracked, you could've probably saved the engine.

dont tell me how fast your car is, with out an E.T. slip from the drag race track. years ago i thought i had fast car . till i took it to the track.

dont tell me how fast your car is, with out an E.T. slip from the drag race track. years ago i thought i had fast car . till i took it to the track.

Dont need a slip, and if you dont like what I'm sayin sit back and watch other people post...

Thats a good thing, that means the the piston and sleeve aren't worn out and still have their "pinch". If your piston wasn't cracked, you could've probably saved the engine.

yeah it just split the conn rod down the center

---------- Post added at 8:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:31 PM ----------

mine is fast enough. comparable setups are running low 12s in the 1/4. i really dont beat on it. had it for over 4 years and not one problem since it was new. still stock clutch and brakes even.winters are great too!

update. got the conn rod in the mail today. started reassembly. the piston locks and clicks on top dead center. I'm not gonna bother with this engine. i think thats what caused the conn rod to break in the beginning. ill just keep this engine for any salvageable parts. thanks for the replies everyone.