Breaking in a new BRUSHED motor??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I just got the HPI mini recon this is my first brushed truck. I looked for some help on the mini pafe but haven't seemed to get many hits. I have 2 brushless rigs and 2 nitros but for the price of this truck I had to have it my question is how do I break this motor in. I know there are a few post about it on this site but I am still a bit confused. I'm wondering if the running the motor in the cup of water way works good? It seems really effective and easy but wanted to ask before I just run my motor in water.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3nWxmgX70"]How to break in a brushed RC car motor. - YouTube[/ame]

I did it, works good and the motor should last longer.

Tap water is fine, but spray it out really good with motor spray when you're done.

Thanks for the input guys. I went out today and got some distilled water. I also got some muchmore bearing lube and some duratrax power shot motor spray from tower hobbies. Was going to break it in today, but had to tear down my mini summit and replace a rear diff, so I will be getting to it tomorrow. Will post some feedback after I get done with it.

I always just hook everything up, elevate the rear tires, and turn the trim on the radio up a touch to get the wheels rolling at about 1/4 speed for about 5 minutes. then i spray it out with motor cleaner. probably not the correct way, but when ur at a racetrack with multiple cars, its a quick, set it and go back in 5 minutes kinda deal.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I got it done and man either the gear mesh was a little off or the break in did wonders for this motor. I had ran it for 5 minutes when i got it and man after i did the water cup break in and put the motor back in this thing is super fast for what it is. Thanks again for the help