Brand new trx 3.3 pull start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroBen

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought a brand new 3.3 with a pull starter I haven’t put it on the car yet but when I try to pull the starter it doesn’t want to move at all. It should come oiled right?

I bought a brand new 3.3 with a pull starter I haven’t put it on the car yet but when I try to pull the starter it doesn’t want to move at all. It should come oiled right?

If it is new an the glow plug is on it ,it will be tight ,you can try to remove the plug an see if it will move then!
By doing so ,you will relieve some of the pressure!

A new engine should be hard to turn ,but not frozen!.... :cool:

You shouldn't really try turning a RC engine over unless you are trying to start it. These things seal the combustion chamber by a taper in the cylinder sleeve. As the piston goes up, it's mechanically smashing the edges of the piston against the sleeve to seal it. When the engine is heated/running, the sleeve expands, then the "pinch" isn't so aggressive. But the first minute or so of running until the engine warms up is probably the hardest part of an engines life.

That said, between the pinch and compression, it likely just feels stuck, but if you had it installed on a chassis, you could get more leverage on it and probably pull the starter. Until it's broken in fully, it will be pretty tight and hard to turn over when cold.

I like to heat the case a bit with a hairdryer or heat gun on a new engine. Especially if it's a pull start. Makes those first couple takes a lot easier to get going. It also takes some of the strain off the pull starter.