brand new revo 3.3 wont start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrevo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Whats up everybody I am new to this but am excited about my new revo, only thing is i can't get it to start...I tried starting it cold but then i put a hair dryer on it and it seemed like it wanted to start but then it would just stop. I got a little bit of gas to the carb by priming it but after that one try it it didnt do it anymore. I'm thinking the ez start batteries might be dead because after awhile it would just click lock.it had locked up or it would just barely turn over but you could tell it wasn't getting any fuel. Help please I'm not understanding

Make sure your batteries are charged on the easy start. Prime and then start may take a few bursts of the easy start but should start in a couple of 5 second bursts. Also make sure your glow plug wire is hooked up. The person I bought mine off of could not get it started because the glow wire was hidden and they did not see it. Make sure u take the time to read the manual cover to cover before u start and follow break in procedures

Ok i will check all of that thanks

The battery has to sit on the battery charger for about 3 to 4 hrs before you can attempt to use it. It is what is called a slow charger that comes with your new truck. From the factory your truck is already set with really rich HSN Settings for the first run when you are performing engine break in.

Traxxas in the manual is very intuative on how to break in the engine properly and it has a 5 tank rule before you even think about running full throttle. Not following the instructions will reduce the life of the engine drastically. Follow the instructions and I think they say to lean the engine 1/8 of a turn thru each of the tanks of fuel. Been a few years since I have broken in a new engine.

Always make sure there is a good smoke coming from the exhaust. If the engine is spitting fuel out the exhaust it is too rich and lean it by 1/8 of a turn. I rarely have broken in a new engine without replacing the glow plug at least once in the first five tanks.

Now this is just a suggestion and not necessary but I have done away with the blue wire on all my Traxxas engines and purchased a Glow Igniter. It helps for faster starts and more consistant starts with the easy start system.

Good point on the blue wire. I find for the first start of the day my ignitor will work faster. Then after that the blue wire seems to start it up just as fast.

Don't lean it too much at first, there should always be a very small amount of stuff dripping from the pipe. I would also suggest wrapping the cylinder head if it's any cooler outside than 70°f. That will help the engine warm up, which is just as important as running it rich. If you run it too cool it will loosen up more than you want it to. If it runs too hot with the head wrapped you can always richen the needle. The key is running rich and warm enough.

Ok thanks everybody, hopefully i can get it right today.

Ok guys I got it to run couple of times the longest being about 15 seconds but when I tried the break in procedure or I just let it sit, it would die. If I unplug the glow plug the motor turns over fine but when I plug it back up it barely cranks or sometimes it just clicks. Could my glow plug be bad?

You may be flooding the engine. Go through the flood clearing procedure in the manual, then turn the low speed needle 1/4 of a turn. Slightly leaning the low needle should get you an idle.
What's the weather like?

In the day it's like 50-55

I would wrap the head with something then. It'll never reach 200° without being leaned out too much.

In colder weather you shouldn't lean out the engine to much. Colder weather has more air/oxygen in it meaning the engine will already run leaner, specially if tuned to run properly in warmer weather, leaning it out more will restrict fuel even more causing even leaner running. With more air/oxygen you need more fuel to get the correct air/fuel ratio & to make an engine run properly, leaning the engine can cause damage as there is a lower amount of fuel & lubrication. Wrap the head to help get more warmth into the engine & heat the engine first to help get the temp up.
In hot weather there is less air/oxygen so an engine will run rich meaning to get a proper tune you actually need to lean it out a little the get the air/fuel ratio correct.

Grt-8 looks like Gert-8, what the heck is gert-8?
I've seen gr8, but not grt-8.

almost sounds like your engine is so tight that when you hook up the glow plug wire the ezstart does not have enough juice to turn things over. Do you have a glow plug ignitor that you can borrow or go out and buy? Pull the blue wire off use the ignitor to get it started and leave it on their for 20 seconds or so until the engine gets some heat in it. Maby after a tank or so of fuel it will start to loosen up enough that the ezstart will be able to do it all... Like i said earlier the first start of the day i have to use my ignitor to get it started then after the engine has some heat it works great for the rest of the day. I did a full day of running yesterday using 1 battery in the ezstart

Back