Brake adj.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey guys, tryin to get the brakes to work on this tmaxx 4910. Seems no matter how tight i adjust the servo settings and or the pads i guess u would call them, i can not get them to work well. Keeps acting like the shaft that turns to push the barrel into the pads is tight but it moves freely by hand. Could it be the servo is old and or week? Its a stock traxxas 2018. Think a servo upgrade would do the trick? Is so what servo would be a good upgrade? Thanks

Have you adjusted any linkage yet? I got my 2.5 used but the brake linkage came with a threaded knob that allows me to adjust how hard or soft they grab. IDK if every Maxx has this bit if I snug it up I can actually have it endo if I hit them to hard

Are u talking about like what i have on the revo,just a turn nob right? this just is connected to the servo to a shaft that mounts in the front of the trans case with like a cam on the bottom . When it turns it pushes a barrel shaped piece out into the brake pads and squeezes the brake rotor tight to the front brake pad.

Double up on the pads, cup down a retractable pen spring & put it between the pads & get rid of the fuel tube & replace it with a stiffer spring.
My 4910 will front flip if I adjust the brakes too tight setup like this & that's with an old 2055 traxxas servo on mine & a 2018 on my wife's truck.

054-1-1.jpg

034-1-1.jpg

A picture would help, but nitro 4910 has a nice looking setup there.
The 2018 is a very weak servo.

A picture would help, but nitro 4910 has a nice looking setup there.
The 2018 is a very weak servo.

Thats what I'm wonderin, cause with th linkage adjusted so the the end of the throw of the servo should be brakes on. but it will not even come close to full throw with just a little tension but will not pull the blue brake cam tight at all. And if i push that blue brake cam it does not take alot of force at all to tighten the pads snug to the rotor.What would be a good upgrade for servo?

If your using a tq 2.4 radio check your end points settings. Try removing the brake linkage from the servo and see if the servo moves past the point it does with the linkage attached, if it does then you have a weak servo or a problem with the linkage/brake assembly.

ok. If it was week wouldnt it show up first with a little tension though?

Maybe, maybe not, don't forget thr may be a bad gear in the servo that won't allow it to travel its full travel , also make sure your battery is strong, a weak battery will not push the servo all the way,

ok i will test it out tomorrow. Do u know the torque rating on my 2018 servo?

No I don't, but do not out a very strong servo on the throttle, if you do you can damage the carb the stock servo works very well on the thraotell/brake

ok. i was just comparing the 3.3 maxx servo to the 2.5 4910. But not even sure if there the same break setup. I will try thosen things u mentioned and go from there. Thanks

If adjusted correctly, even the strongest servo will do no damage.

I agree snookman but really you don't need a strong servo to controll the throttle/brake as much as you need a fast servo. With a strong servo your likely to over brake or over pull the the carb slide IF the adjustment isn't set properly, the stock traxxas servo works very well for that application and the newer servos are water proof. I think his problem is in his adjustment and possibly he has bent brake shoes.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours.
I agree that the 2018 will do the job when everything is adjusted as it should be, and will even lock up the brakes for a nice endo...

But IMO the 2018 servo belongs in the spare parts bin.:)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours.
I agree that the 2018 will do the job when everything is adjusted as it should be, and will even lock up the brakes for a nice endo...

But IMO the 2018 servo belongs in the spare parts bin.:)

Nicely put.... And I agree that the 2018 is on the lower end of quality.

For traxxas brand servos I like a 2070 or 2075 on throttle brake.

So last night i went back and forth adjusting things and testing the adjustments. We ran them today and he said it was alot better, but as soon as he let out the throttle they were on a bit as if i got them just a smidge to tight. So gonna back them off a little bit and hope it works. And i did notice the rotor is maybe bent or warped, seems like theres a hard spot while turning it by hand.

Back