Bought my first truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emaxx1991

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just won a losi 8ight t 2.0 off eBay it comes with 2 motor dx3c radio and stock starter box
9ebesege.jpg
a4ubejyd.jpg

Congrats! Losi is a proven winner at the tracks. What other engine did it come with?

He hasn't replied back yet but I'll update as soon as I find out I'm stoked this hopefully handles a lot better then my revo

Can anyone tell me the difference in the rtr and the tlr truggy

It came with a losi 454 and an older .26 picco he said both run great
e3agyhu3.jpg

Came in the mail today it runs great
tedu5adu.jpg

how are these as bashers? I want something other than an MT and was looking into a truggy but I never race just bash.

I can't awnser your question but I have seen that the hpi truggy is good in both aspects ( I would never think about bashing my losi $$$$) that's what the Emaxx is for
dugyhypu.jpg

All good race kits make good bashers also. My Losi 8ight isnt really much more expensive to buy replacement parts for than my Rustler. Maybe a slight increase on a part here and there but not enough to keep me from bashing the hell out of it :)

The kits usually have a little bit higher quality parts...For example the Losi 8ight buggy kit comes with more aluminum parts than its RTR counterpart. That and the stuff the kit is missing is the main differences.

So I'm contemplating converting my 8ight T to brushless with the tekno conversion....

I do not like to convert and it costs almost as much as buying a new Brushless Electric. I love nitros and have a mix of both worlds than enjoy running both. Converting to electric will cost more then it is worth. It will not go as fast and once you invest into battery packs to get the same run time as your receiver pack it will cost alot more.

You can buy a Brushless for about the same price as the conversion. Decent battery packs at least the 5000 40c LiPo packs I am buying right now are about $80.00 bucks a each which I bought when I converted my Electrics from Brushed to Brushless motors. My Brushless motors and ESC were inexpensive but for each one I converted was almost $300.00 Bucks. I could have bought new ones at this price but did not want to get rid of them. I also converted them from the AM radios to 2.4 Ghz and again I could have bought brand new ones for about the same price it cost to convert each one.

Now with that said for another $100.00 bucks you can have a brand new RTR with Brushless motor. Now you have to add in the price of the Battery Charger to handle LiPo battery packs another $125.00 bucks minimum for a decent charger with a Balancer. Now add in the Kit price on top of that and you could own a really nice RTR with a Brushless Motor for about the same price as the conversion will cost. Keep your Nitro and invest in another toy. It will be about the same price in the end and you will have another new Toy.

Last edited:
All that is true but... I already own a powerlab 6 and decent lipos and the cost of fuel in Germany is reducules I pay 40 euros ($60) about every month for fuel I don't get stationed back on the states for 2 more years ether

If you like electric better than nitro or if you just want crazy insane amounts of speed and power then convert it. They dont really make many RTR electric 1/8 scale Truggies (the major manufacturers dont make any at all that I'm aware of) so JoeMAXX's comparison doesn't really even apply and even if it did I wouldnt exactly agree with his assessment anyway.

It will not go fast as brushless??? Did i read that correctly? With my experience i think it would be ALOT Faster.

I may be reading this wrong but you say it cost you the same amount money to convert your rigs from brushed to brushless as it did to convert your radio to 2.4ghz per vehicle! No disrespect but $300 to convert your radio system per vehicle seems a little off, unless you bought spektrum dx3rs for all of them. I just did my three rigs for a little over $280, I did only buy a dxc3c and 2 extra RX's.

Ok we can run thru some pricing on conversions and the Guy in Germany Case he was wanting to convert a Nitro to Brushless with a conversion kit. The Conversion kit USA bucks costs $130.00 bucks and a combo kit Brushless motor will cost him the USA using this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWZJ7&P=ML is $334.99 Bucks. I could buy a Associated 1/8 RC8.2e RS EP RTR http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCPVW**&P=ML for about $500.00 so in this senerio for a few bucks more he could have a Brushless Quality RTR with a 2.4Ghz radio system and keep his Nitro in tack. Yes I feel the pain of fuel prices and have than run 4 nitros all the time and go thru a quart of fuel almost everytime I go out to play. Gallon of fuel for me costs between 30.00 to 40.00 bucks a gallon. I go thru about 2 gallons of fuel every summer.

Now we will go back to my RC10T4SE and RC10B4SE Conversions I did and compare those prices to a new RTR. I could buy a brand new RC10B4.1 for $245.97 and after adding up the prices of what it cost to convert my 2004 RC10B4SE it is pretty close. Spectrum Radio DX3C system $139.99, Used the 3 channel in a truck with reverse Spectrum 2 Channel Receiver $29.99, Venom 2s 5000 40c Battery pack $79.99, Duratrax Element 3900Kv Brushless motor ESC Combo $129.99 equals $239.88 Subtract the battery price and I still paid a lot for the conversion. Not to mention I paid About $130.00 for a new battery charger for LiPo cell packs. My 12 year old ICE charger is not compatable with the new battery packs.

Now I am not one to really argue but the price seems a bit high to convert a Nitro Buggy to a Brushless Buggy. Yea I am old and gray than sometimes senile the speed thing I remember dudes performing Nitro to Brushed motors and my assessment on this was totally off. Back then they lost speed and had to buy new motors all the time.

Now that I posted it all am I really that wrong with my assesments? Please take me in the back room and pound on me a bit :)

Last edited:
This losi 8ight t 2.0 is a nicely designed and would seem a better fit. I must say that this is one of the best models that I have seen in a long time.And the capability and features of this truggy is amazing... Thanks for sharing