Bought a used air compressor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I scored this today from craigslist for $50, its a 26 gallon unit.

4f6d9dfa.jpg

Other than being filthy dirty (I cleaned it up a little) I think it was a good deal.

Being that this is my first oil lubricated belt driven compressor, (previous were oil -less pancake type) I'd like to know what would be proper maintenance on this thing. Since it is a used unit, what are some things I should go over before putting it into garage duty? Any of you guys relocate the drain valve to a more convenient location or will it defeat the purpose by not allowing water to escape. Its final location will probably be underneath a workbench.

Keep the drain valve right were it is..
Next thing to do is service it..Drain the oil and replace it with a good oil..HYD rando 46 is a good oil..Its made for Texaco..
And get your self a good water separator

Very nice score IMO. When I was a carpenter we used something similar to that one. Everyday I checked the oil, and the belt, and at the end of the day I would drain the water, never had problem with it. The drain valve should be on the bottom.

Congrats on a nice score!

I'm supposed to do maintenence on my garage compressor? :egad:

Revo Rancher said:
I'm supposed to do maintenence on my garage compressor? :egad:

Thats good...I'll know who to call on when the times comes to do mine:) I just got my first one my self but I haven't cut it on yet.

Anyways, nice score dude.

I appreciate the suggestions gentlemen. I'll change the oil, check the belt, and pick up a water filter. If I put the compressor on wood blocks it will elevate it enough so the drain valve is easier to get to. A few 4x4's should do the trick.

sweetdiesel said:
I appreciate the suggestions gentlemen. I'll change the oil, check the belt, and pick up a water filter. If I put the compressor on wood blocks it will elevate it enough so the drain valve is easier to get to. A few 4x4's should do the trick.

If you put it up on blocks make sure that the blocks and compressor are secure That thing is going to shake..

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I gave $300 for mine. It's an upright 30 gallon.

Wow, Nice score bro!! Ya got a steal!

SCORE!!!!!!!
nice find.....I'm w' maddog....if you raise it be careful.....might be easier to make a platform for it instead.....I made something for a TV from scrap wood at Home depot.....they usually have a bin w/ end cuts from ply and beams.....buy 2 2x6s and make the box w/ one support in the center and layer the top w/ ply scraps.....HD will even cut the wood if you don't have a saw....

if its that difty dont forget to check the air filter (if it has one)

great job on that man!! that will last you a good while befor you "grow out of it"

Hmmm, oil-less vs oiled. Well, the manual is long gone, but I will check. Most likely it is oil-less as I did read the manual and I do not recall anything about oil, just the petcock drain on the bottom for moisture. Plus, it's a Craftsman, simialr in size to the pic above, so I doubt it is too sophisticated.

I like the platform ideas, in the pic you can see I made one for my washer and dryer. No way I was going to pay $150 for each stand. I used 2x6s with a lot of crossbracing in the center. The whole thing cost me around $50 and I can jump on it with no problems.

Once I get the platform made, I'll just build up the workbench top. I can finally mount the tools I got for X-mas.

Revo, if it is oil-less there isn't any maintenance to perform on it except draining the tank after every use.

Rancher, I'll bet it's an oiless one. I have a Craftsman one as well and I don't recall seeing any of them that required oil.

Good, because I wasn't about to add one more thing to my chores list.

Revo Rancher said:
Good, because I wasn't about to add one more thing to my chores list.
At least it's not one of those chores on the ol lady's have to do list. :)

Sweetdiesel, are you going to be moving it any? If not you can take the petcock (sp) out and just plumb a piece of pipe on it with a drain on the end.

If you are going to move it, how about an elbow with a quick-coupler on it? Just hook a hose on it with a blow gun on it when you are done. Should work.

Hey guys, I'm looking at compressors right now on line. What size would be good just for like using for RC or light use around the house. 6gal or more?

For a very long life check the drain to empty any water in the tank from time to time and keep the air filter clean. It is no nitro engine but a clean filter always helps .

The filter on one compressor at work is grey from dirt and nasty crap got inside,the filter was never cleaned in over 8 years of use.Now the compressor does not charge more than 40-45PSI! I am going to apply the nitro engine filter routine to the next one.

nevnitro said:
Hey guys, I'm looking at compressors right now on line. What size would be good just for like using for RC or light use around the house. 6gal or more?

6 gal should be plenty for R/C use. A smaller tank will cycle more often than a larger tank, get the biggest one that you can afford or have room for.