Blue starter wire improvement!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@xximillion

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Did some good quality bashin today, built a 2 foot jump to play with. Temps and idle were perfect all day. The only problem I had was that flimsy blue starter wire wore through the jacket! So when I got home I desolderd it from the spring shortend it to a reasnoable length resolderd and reinforced it with some dual wall heatshrink with adhesive. Now it is easier to pull off and more rigid to push on the glo-plug. Here's some pics. The first, you can see the gauge differance.
The second, you can see how I rerouted through the bulk head to have a smoother bend. Don't worry about the header, the pic looks decieving, there is plenty of clearance.
The last shows the new low-profile look and fit.

Attachments

• new and old.jpg
    new and old.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 196
Two

Attachments

• body off.jpg
    body off.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 180
Three

Attachments

• body on.jpg
    body on.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 148
LOL what is that switch on your maxx?:sneaky:

Originally posted by Mayhem
LOL what is that switch on your maxx?:sneaky:

Starter interupt switch, it allows you to preheat the glo-plug.

Originally posted by NCNitro
Maxximillion, the best starter wire mod....pull it off and throw it away, and use a glow plug igniter :D

No way! :D I like the way it works, and if the circuit board gives me any problems like people are saying, I rebuild that better too:banana: .

Maxximillion, the best starter wire mod....pull it off and throw it away, and use a glow plug igniter :D

LOL! I'm with you!

But, good mod at that Max! I say to go for the twist lock glo wire if you insist on using one. Worked EXTREMELY well for me until I got a glow ignitor. Then again, the only thing I use now is the big 1.5v HobiCo battery with the alligator clip to locking glo ignitor. It is, by far, the shiznit!

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ

LOL! I'm with you!

But, good mod at that Max! I say to go for the twist lock glo wire if you insist on using one. Worked EXTREMELY well for me until I got a glow ignitor. Then again, the only thing I use now is the big 1.5v HobiCo battery with the alligator clip to locking glo ignitor. It is, by far, the shiznit!

Thanks for the info but I bought the Maxx because of the specific features it offers, I like the whole concept behind the starter system. Why would I want to go out a buy additional componets that shouldn't be nessesary. I didn't buy a new one because I knew if anything happend I could make one better than anything offered anyway.
Trust me, there is no comparison.

Because it performs better.

Thats all.

Originally posted by M@xximillion

Thanks for the info but I bought the Maxx because of the specific features it offers, I like the whole concept behind the starter system. Why would I want to go out a buy additional componets that shouldn\'t be nessesary. I didn\'t buy a new one because I knew if anything happend I could make one better than anything offered anyway.
Trust me, there is no comparison.

Originally posted by matts6887
I am with you on this one Christian. Something tells me that no matter how well they might try and redesign the ezstart plug wire, etc I still think its better to use a igniter. Again this is just my personal feeling about it so dont go ballisitc about it.

Cmon Matts just give your opinion without the disclaimers, the rest of us can I just don'y understand why you can't or won't :confused: You bring alot of what comes down on you on yourself.

Back to the subject, Maxxamillion, a glow igniter is a great tool, for $20 you can get one with a charger, and trust those of us who have messed with that stupid blue wire. I still use my ez start, I bought the KHB east start converter for my OS, but that blue wire SUCKS!

Hey NCN - how is that KHB working out? Hand drill start right?

I always wondered how the gears inside held up. I like that they make them for OS as well. Let me know. I might get one now that I finally know someone with one.

How long have you been using it too?

-Chris

I did a similar mod to my blue wire on my "old" T-Maxx. It took me a month of running that way before I said screw it, removed the entire TRX PRO .15, EZ start and all, got my self a pull start and a glow ignitor (of course those came in handy for my new Fantom) and haven't looked back. I have refurbished my TRX and keep it in a zip-loc in my field box as a back up. The zip-loc has been collecting dust for almost six months.

Cmon Matts just give your opinion without the disclaimers, the rest of us can I just don\'y understand why you can\'t or won\'t :confused: You bring alot of what comes down on you on yourself.

Why should he give his opinion? He would just have to take a stand and back it up. I believe he thinks waffles taste better than the cold steel it would take to make a stand.

Hey NCN - how is that KHB working out? Hand drill start right?

I always wondered how the gears inside held up. I like that they make them for OS as well. Let me know. I might get one now that I finally know someone with one.

How long have you been using it too?

-Chris

Actually no, its a plate that mounts on the back of the engine in place of a pull start and it allows you to mount you traxxas ez start assembly to an OS or Fantom engine. What you are thinking about, I think, is the Racers edge drill start, that looks sweet but a bit pricey at about $80.

KHB easy start adapter

Racers Edge power starter

Because it performs better.

Thats all.

If your reffering to a separate glo igniter possibly, but the original blue wire never failed me, the jacket wore.

If your saying that the twist lock performs better than the improved one I made today, the only thing thats better is the mechanisim to attach it to the glo plug. The jacket is still crappy and low grade. When it comes to electronic componets, I am a pro. After all it's what I do for a living:D The wire itself is pretty good quality being that it is tinned copper, but the jacket on any of the wires used on the T-maxx doesn't even come close to meeting ABYC or NMEA specs. Those specs are what we in the marine electronics industry have to meet to be considerd legitimate installers. If you think i.m pulling your leg or acting like a know it all who can't take advise, i'm not. I appreciate all the knowledge I absorbed from this site. But, when it comes to the electronic aspect, you are in my domain.;)

Thats exactly the one I want to know about!

Time to go L8-0 K I guess.....

Before I got to try one of the KHB adapters I ended up with pull and bump starts. How do those work? Good?

Thats exactly the one I want to know about!

Time to go L8-0 K I guess.....

Before I got to try one of the KHB adapters I ended up with pull and bump starts. How do those work? Good?

I love mine, I will never take it off (except to put it on the next OS). I don't care about the little bit of extra weight. Easy to install and its just like starting the stock motor with an ez start.

Eddy did your fuel line pass the ABYC or NMEA strict guidlines ;)

Back