Blue smoke while idling?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destroyer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I just stopped trying to tune my tmaxx because I noticed when it was idling there was not noticable smoke but you can smell it I run vp 20% btw do you have to have blue smoke while idling I have plenty of that when it is running normally

usually its not very noticeable at idle, not enough to really escape, and not burning hot enough. once you start giving it throttle you should though.
does it try cutting out if you give it throttle?

So I just stopped trying to tune my tmaxx because I noticed when it was idling there was not noticable smoke but you can smell it I run vp 20% btw do you have to have blue smoke while idling I have plenty of that when it is running normally

You shouldn't have to keep trying to tune your engine once it is got a decent tune on it!

If your engine will idle nice for a few minutes an will have a decent take off at a quick stab of the throttle with out stall ,
an also will stay at full WOT with out stalling an still see some smoke ,then it has a good tune on it already as long as
you monitor the heat at your settings ,just make sure that the engine is not over heating!....:thumbs-up:........:cool:

I can hold down the gas from a stop and it will not cut out and there is alot of b I use smoke coming from exhaust when i got done running it today was at 230f

I can hold down the gas from a stop and it will not cut out and there is alot of b I use smoke coming from exhaust when i got done running it today was at 230f

That puts you in the neighborhood of a good tune. I would only do minor tweaks from that to see if you get slightly more power without causing problems.

Thanks I'll try to do minor tweaks from what I have when i run it next time

That puts you in the neighborhood of a good tune. I would only do minor tweaks from that to see if you get slightly more power without causing problems.

That is also the way I do ,If I feel that the engine is getting a little hot to my liking ,I will richen it up a bit ,sometimes ,
in my area ,the weather temp can exceed past a 100 deg. in the summer!

Thanks I'll try to do minor tweaks from what I have when i run it next time

Also ,dont let a little stall fool you when you go from idle to full WOT ,as sometimes if you let the engine idle too
long ,the engine will load up with fuel from idling!...:cool:

You shouldn't have to keep trying to tune your engine once it is got a decent tune on it!

If your engine will idle nice for a few minutes an will have a decent take off at a quick stab of the throttle with out stall ,
an also will stay at full WOT with out stalling an still see some smoke ,then it has a good tune on it already as long as
you monitor the heat at your settings ,just make sure that the engine is not over heating!....:thumbs-up:........:cool:
I had to get a new carb and switched the fuel I'm still decently new to the nitro part of the hobbie

Do you run the 9% castor of VP? They make 12% Castor and 9% castor in VP 20.

My car likes the 9 better but has a rough idle with the 12, and the noticeable blueish smoke at idle.