Blu Ray Writer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anybody out there using an internal blu ray writer? I am looking to pick one up so that I can start digitizing my blu ray collection for streaming to my other TV's without blu ray players. Anybody out there using one and recommend something decent? I saw a few OEM models on New Egg but those don't come with software. Thanks guys.

Tom

You've got to do a search for Blue Ray burner with software.

Right. I know that I need to look for drives with software... but my question is will any standard $100 price range drive do the trick or should I save and buy a more expensive model? I am also looking at Blu ray writers specifically and not the Combo... dvd, cd and light scribe players. There are so many different models with different specs its easy to get lost in the numbers. I am by no means a guru with digital media so I figured I would see if any of you guys could offer any advice. Thanks again.

Tom

Ah, gotcha. If it didn't say the "A" word by your avatar I would have been more helpful. :hehe:

I'm in the process of doing a rebuild on my PC, and while it's torn down I've been looking into other upgrades such as a Blu-Ray burner.
BluRay can store and transfer 5 times more information than the ruby laser DVD units.
I might be wrong, but I also got the impression that some of those units are just for data storage. I don't believe they can all copy bluray disks, if that's what you're looking for. Once you find out, look into Sly Soft for the software. I've been using it for years.

Aiseesoft makes a good BluRay ripping software package. It uses the Cuda capability of the nVidia graphics to keep from totally bogging the system as well as speeding up the system.

I purchased a Pioneer BD-RE (burner) from New Egg, but it died after a week and is in the RMA process. It came with the software even though it was an OEM drive.

Just a side note for you: Most of the BluRay drives will at least read DVDs and CD-ROMs as well as BluRay disks.

Ah, gotcha. If it didn't say the "A" word by your avatar I would have been more helpful. :hehe:

I'm in the process of doing a rebuild on my PC, and while it's torn down I've been looking into other upgrades such as a Blu-Ray burner.
BluRay can store and transfer 5 times more information than the ruby laser DVD units.
I might be wrong, but I also got the impression that some of those units are just for data storage. I don't believe they can all copy bluray disks, if that's what you're looking for. Once you find out, look into Sly Soft for the software. I've been using it for years.

I'm am in the process of rebuilding my PC as well. I added a new video card (Not the $250 card I wanted... but the card runs the ATI Rage chip and has 1GB of DDR3 on it for about $99), sound card (Sound Blaster Auidigy X-Fi Ti), 2TB storage drive, and some more RAM. I figured since I had it all apart I would look at adding a Blu Ray writer. It seemed like a logical step and like Rolex said, I have it torn down I might as well. It is most likely that I will wait until after the holiday's to even think about making a purchase, so I have plenty of time to do my homework. Hey Rolex if you make a purchase in the Blu Ray writer category please post! That would be Awesome!

---------- Post added at 7:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:47 AM ----------

Aiseesoft makes a good BluRay ripping software package. It uses the Cuda capability of the nVidia graphics to keep from totally bogging the system as well as speeding up the system.

I purchased a Pioneer BD-RE (burner) from New Egg, but it died after a week and is in the RMA process. It came with the software even though it was an OEM drive.

Just a side note for you: Most of the BluRay drives will at least read DVDs and CD-ROMs as well as BluRay disks.

Did it just stop working? With all the reviews I have read so far, their seems to be a pretty decent failure rate among these drives. I have been looking at the LG and Liteon models but may end up with a Sony drive. Afterall they invinted blu ray right? Smasung is also at the top of my brand list as well. You will have to let me know how your RMA goes. New Egg is usually pretty good with that.

Last edited:
It just died. I did have a BD-ROM that I replaced it with for now until I get the replacement gets back from New Egg.

Your just so awesome, Rolex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word to live by Rolex.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecSnk5bl3sA"]Captain Awesome's Tips For Being Awesome (Chuck Season 2 DVD) - YouTube[/ame]

Okay Bart, put down the cleaver and slowly step away from it.
You're now on my hit list.

I'm already awesome. You guys are still failing. :p:

An update on my RMA:

Newegg is shipping my replacement BD Writer out today.

if your just looking to get a digital copy and not burn back to a disk a regular blu-ray drive would work. google search for blu-ray ripper there are a few choice for software some are free but i have not tried them. i'm still in the stone ages using a dvd burner.

Back