Blew my 2 speed again.. Any suggestions ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, I have managed to smoke my 2 speed again.

The first time, it blew the wide ratio gear set. I replaced it along with the primary clutch.

Second tank in and it blows again. This time the wide ratio gear set stripped, the pins flew out of the primary clutch and the bearings on the diff pinion fell apart.

The surface I was on was very very loose and dusty. Maybe the truck was shifting too hard into second gear because of the small amount of traction?

I don't think the slipper is set too tight either.

Engine is an OS 21TM, so I don't think it is over powered..

Not sure, Any ideas or solutions? :\

Attachments

• 2 speed 2.jpg
    2 speed 2.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 226
what about switching it to a single speed conversion. not sure if it would work out better for you but might be worth a shot.

what about switching it to a single speed conversion. not sure if it would work out better for you but might be worth a shot.

My Maxx is a single speed and god she is fast as hell!!

Or get a bomb proof tranny upgrade by UE..

jchampion99 said:

HPI-Killer said:
My Maxx is a single speed and god she is fast as hell!!

Or get a bomb proof tranny upgrade by UE..
Is this the single speed - 5193X ?

Last edited:
If you have the 2.5 TMaxx I do believe thats the one.

I would go with a 2 speed RRP gear set. If you strip those then something else is wrong. I am running modded BB Maxx trucks and have never stripped a set of the RRP gears. I have a Maxx with an Sirio .18 on it running the single speed and I can tell yah it def isn't slow.

Yea I have seen the RR set up, a little resistant due to the price, weight and inertia factors tho.

What about the single speed option for the 3.3, is there one? Throw the next size tooth clutch bell on and might end up with a good trade off?

Thanks.

With a big block and a forward only, the weight/inertia doesn't pose much of an issue. I run RRP steel in my revo for all gears in the trans. Got tired of taking it apart every time I ran it to replace something... that was two years ago. Haven't taken it apart since.

When I run a 3.3 in the winter, it seems to do fine too. Still pulls wheelies with the right pipe/gearing.

I am running a set of RRP gears, against a 3.3 and don't notice much of a difference. If at all. I believe the single speed conversion for the #4907 maxx is called a center diff conversion.

There aint no such thing as a single speed 3.3 spec trans unless its custom made and the centre diff dont fit a maxx trans
I would suggest to replace all gears in the trans along with the bearings and use some shims when installing as there may be some play somewhere along the line causing the gear strippage and pins snapping[COLOR="Silver"

Last edited:
You can lock it 2nd by making a plate to relace the 2ng gear clutch or you can groove the 2nd gear clutch in 3 places and put screws into the gear to lock the clutch to the gear.

Oomp over at BYT forum used to make the 2nd gear lockout plate in I rember right.

locked_tranny_zps46c65af0.jpg

Nice mod nitro.. Cheers for the tips boys, have given me a bit to think about.

That would be hell on a clutch I'd think. I had a hard time keeping an 1/8th clutch in my revo with a big block even with the two speed. I ended up gearing down a bit and replacing the shoes with aluminum ones. However, I think I have something slipping again. I recently put in a new LRP28 and probably have a gallon through it now. When it's in second and moving at a good clip, if I open the throttle, the revs pick up and the truck slowly catches up. Is really noticeable in grass.

Back