Biggest motor for nitro stampede?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken_civic

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know you've seen these threads before, but i wanna be realistic. I need to know what would be a good motor for this, I want to reach speeds of about 70mph with a single speed transmission "if possible" you guys tell me what it can do, I don't know. Please keep the transmission and drivetrain comments out, that's the least of my worries. Just want to know what motor I can get to fit and what the outcome would be?

I'm no nitro guru. I've just been messing with electric, I had a few nitro engines back in the day, it's been a very long time ago though.

Biggest doesn't mean fastest. A TRX 3.3 or Losi 3.4 are the biggest small blocks, and many people are tossing the 3.3 in place of the 3.4. I think it's going to be very hard to hit 70mph with a Stampede. It's a monster truck, it has big, bulky tires and low gearing. It has a high CoG, and it's not very aerodynamic. Honestly, you might be better off using a stadium truck to reach those speeds.

The Traxxas Jato and Losi Speed NT are already rated for 60+, you might be better off starting with one of those.

---------- Post added at 7:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:43 PM ----------

Oh yea, and you'd probably grenade the Pede trans if you did reach those speeds.

ehh, i'm trying to get speeds out of a monster truck. I have a e-maxx rite now that's running prob. 40-50ish, maybe a little more. I really wanna try to get this thing as fast as I can with decent torque too.

Can you put a big block on it? I don't know much about the big block stuff.

---------- Post added at 7:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:45 PM ----------

ehh, i'm trying to get speeds out of a monster truck. I have a e-maxx rite now that's running prob. 40-50ish, maybe a little more. I really wanna try to get this thing as fast as I can with decent torque too.

Can you put a big block on it? I don't know much about the big block stuff.

stadium trucks aren't a whole lot better either lol. I just got rid of a evader with a 7700kv castle motor running on 2s or 3s you couldn't top it out. if you finally got it fast enough it wouldn't lift the tires under acceleration, it would get air under it and fly. LoL I never put weight to the front end, I should have and put a gps on it to see how fast it was going. I'll bet my life it was going over 70 possibly 80 or 90. I clocked it at 50 on gps and have videos, it would run 50 fine without getting air under it. that was with a 5700..

Anyone who doesn't believe me, a friend has the truck now and I can simply put a gps on it and videotape it any time.

Last edited:
What about an os18 cr-v I know that they rip in a tmaxx. I had a Rustler and it would fit with a mount from new era. But I sold it all to metal head matt who has feel off the face of the planet.

A big block will likely give you more torque than top end.

If you can fit a big block in there then you may be able to gear it way up, but 70 mph is still unlikely.

I have electric now that's fast. Really fast. I'm selling stuff off now. I had a stampede when I was a kid, nitro and electric. I picked up a nitro stampede today, won't have it till tomorrow for 40 bucks with 2 small mills. I'm wanting it to run with the brushless stuff we are running honestly. the brushless stuff is running between 60 and 90 Maybe a little more on some vehicles.

I really should get you guys some videos of what i'm doing LoL. This stuff is rediculous and I have a pocket camcorder.

---------- Post added at 9:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:36 PM ----------

What do you guys think a big block with high gearing would do?

Last edited:
So nobody can tell me what the best motor for what I wanna do would be and how fast it would go? even a ball park?

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Let's see some videos!!

Might get some tonight.

Ok heres your best shot OS21VZ-BV pro modified 2.48hp @33,000rpm can hit 40,000rpm only $449.00.go for it:hehe:(SPEED=$$$$$$$$$$)

Ok heres your best shot OS21VZ-BV pro modified 2.48hp @33,000rpm can hit 40,000rpm only $449.00.go for it:hehe:(SPEED=$$$$$$$$$$)

Seems like an awesome mill. Theoretically i'm spinning 40,000 on my e-maxx now at 40mph.

Wonder what the torque is like on this mill? Maybe I can gear it pretty high.

Seems like an awesome mill. Theoretically i'm spinning 40,000 on my e-maxx now at 40mph.

Wonder what the torque is like on this mill? Maybe I can gear it pretty high.

Its hard to say if you'll reach your goal on speed but i truly believe if you use that engine you are going to produce some schrapnel.:p: I think that engine will give you your best chance buy a lot of different gear combos.

Its hard to say if you'll reach your goal on speed but i truly believe if you use that engine you are going to produce some schrapnel.:p: I think that engine will give you your best chance buy a lot of different gear combos.

LoL, starting over is gonna feel wierd. I have prob. 25 different gears for electric. Maybe a little less now, I've been giving them away here and there.

I picked this thing up yesterday, it looked like junk. Was covered in goo. The goo was so old it was like tar. Had to degrease the chassis, pressure wash it with a pressure washer, blow off with airhose, degrease, wash with a pressure washer and blow off with airhose again to get just about all the crud off it. i picked up a hpi .12 mill yesterday as well from a friend for 10 bucks i'm going to put on here for now. Does anyone know how dependable these motors are? Back when I was into nitro many years ago, o.s. was pretty much the most dependable motor i'd ever ran.

Motor=batteries & magnets!
Engine=internal combustion!

Like others said, 70mph will be tough with a truck. If u want that kinda speed, go for an onroad. My old TC3 would reach 60-65 no problem.

my buddies summit is prob. running 70s on 3s, I just want this thing to run with it.

If it can't be done, that's fine. I Just wanted to know what you guys thought I could get THIS TRUCk to run, I'm not going to purchase a on road, I like monster trucks and stadium trucks, awd buggies too!

I prefer truggys. Stronger or just as strong as mt's and they handle awesome. My savage would break every time I ran it. Since iv had my mbx5t, iv had nothing break, and I'm not easy on it!!