Big blocks in buggies?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITRO 21

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was wondering what I would want to do prior to putting a big block into a buggy do I need to do anything special to the diffs? and anything else I should know. I have a couple of rollers now and a new dirt tri-oval track that just opened near me and reading the rules it say's any engine may be used I was thinking about the Fantom .27 or maybe the RB .28?

What kind of buggie would help alot 1/8,1/10,1/5, etc.

I have the Picco 26 outlaw in mine and probably will get a Fantom for my MBX5 to be!

It would be for a 1/8 buggy either a Storm roller or Kanai roller. It looks like the Fantom .27 would be a little easier on the wallet so I think that's what I will be going with, so I can just drop it in and it should be fine.

some of the bigger block engines kind of have limited RPM capabilities. That's where the racing bred .21's shine. A ws7II or s7 will be a much better choice then the RB.28 for a buggy hands down. I cannot comment on the fantom, the 05 fantom is said to have a higher rpm range, I am not sure on how that will be in the real world, I know the Mac's, vspec, WS7's, and other race bred .21 engines will outrev most if not all of the Monster blocks and thus would be much better in a buggy then the .28's out there. My picco .26 was a real screamer in my savage, but I would not want that engine in a buggy, power band is on or off not smooth...incredible torque and what I thought was pretty good top end, until I saw the CMB Raptor run. Just my :2cents:

that is true i cannot tell the difference between 1/4 throttle and full throttle in my wasp .26, it seems to be all the way on or all the way off if i touch the throttle. I've never ran it in a buggy, but id imagine it wouldnt make for an easy driver while trying to make it around a track with a buggy. damn good engine for a savage though.

I just recently got an RB ws7II for an Xray XB8 that am gonna be building which will be what I plan to race with on the off-road track, but the track also has a tri-oval around the off-road course so I was thinking of dropping something into one of my rollers that would just fly to use on it. Does anyone have the specs on the 05 Fantom .27?

Last edited:
NEWS FLASH: '05 models are now shipping! Check out the new '05 features:

New Rear Plate - HPI Rotostart and Other rotostart sytems bolt right on, and also features a new hi-performance starter shaft bushing
New Crankshaft Timing Specs - Increased performance throughout powerband with greatly improved low-end response
New Piston & Sleeve Porting and Timing Specs - Matched to the new crankshaft for incredible power and RPM
New Head Shim Specs
New Deck Height Specs
Improved Internal Crankcase Porting - For better flow to intake ports
Improved Crankcase Machining at Carb Intake - For better flow from carb to crank intake
New Turbo Head Buttons (optional standard head buttons are available: part# FAN10439 for FR21 and part# FAN10441 for FR27)
New High-Performance Glow Plugs:
FAN10602 – .21-.28 TURBO glow plug for OFF-ROAD applications (common aftermarket turbo glow plug is O’Donnell® 97T / part#ODO97T)

FAN10604 – .21-.28 TURBO glow plug for ON-ROAD applications (common aftermarket turbo glow plug is O’Donnell® 99T / part#ODO99T)

FAN10605 – .21-.28 STANDARD glow plug for MONSTER TRUCK applications (common aftermarket standard glow plug is O’Donnell® 100 / part#ODO100)

FAN10603 – .21-.28 STANDARD glow plug for OFF-ROAD applications (common aftermarket standard glow plug is O’Donnell® 99 / part#ODO99)

Should have about 2.8 HP and they say it revs to almost 42000RPM. Hard to believe with 3 intake and 1 exhaust port. My CMB has an 11 port configuration and will rev that high, I thought with more porting comes higher RPM and the lower porting gives more low end power. Basicly a Fantom Representative said on another board that the wasp .28, the fantom .27 are very close in performance. Fantom had alot of trouble with the 1st version of the .27 so the updated one should be much improved. A very good MT engine, but I seriously doubt it would be a match for the more expensive and higher tech racing engines when used in a buggy.
I got that news flash off of savage-central, those guys love the bigger bore engines in their rigs, and lots of info on the various big bore engines over there.

Last edited:
It's not like buggies are really underpowered with .21's already. IMO, a nice RB would do perfect for your application.

I really can't afford another $300 engine this month that's why I was looking at the Fantom .27 plus I just wanna try something different and if the big block doesn't work for me in the buggy I have a couple of monsters it could go into. I have yet to run my RB ws7II because I am still waiting on the buggy it will be going into. I really just want something with great speed at a lower price than an RB as this buggy will only be an oval racer and basher.

A cheaper option but still powerful is the XTM 24.7. Very torquey engine, 2.6-2.7 HP, but if you're looking for some more revs go with a .21.

Back