Big block engine swap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volksboy75

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Last year I purchased a Redkat Backdraft 3.5. Eventually the motor laid over for some reason. Havent really gone through it yet. Well its that time again, and i'm wanting to upgrade my motor from a .21 to a .28. Got my eye on a hpi savage 4.6. Is there anything i should be aware of as far as fitment, offset, yadda yadda? Thanks

Most big blocks are pretty similar. May require a new header gasket to work with your pipe. Also, depending on which engine you get, you may end up with a roto start vs a pull start.

The LRP 28 S3 is a pretty good engine.

Not to thread jack or anything, but wouldn't swapping a bigger engine put more stress on the driveline? I've had the same question but was told I would twist dog bones and wreak havoc on my driveline without spending huge cash to beef it up first to handle a bigger engine.

What puts stress on the drive train is the heavy wheels and tires, for example; the Revo's wheels and tires weigh 15.4ozs ea, thats almost 4 lbs, thats what's hard on the drive train.

Back