best way to do the throttle return spring mod for a savage x?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hey yall, i have a savage x 4.6 and i want to do the throttle return spring mod, i read about it but it seems like all the info on it are currently pretty old so i wanted to make a post in 2021 just incase a new better method is available. i am a complete nooby so if you could let me know what i need to buy and where and how to route etc etc
i was thinking maybe doing the killer rc bumble bee nitro kill switch (it cuts the fuel flow) but me being in canada and after shipping and eveyrhting ill end up paying $85.00 cad for that which is $$$ and it seems like with my research the throttle return spring and the failsafe should be all i need unless i am mistaken, so please correct me if I'm wrong

thx!

dont know if there is any better way than back, just need a spring with enough tension to overpower an un-powered servo to pull the carb slide closed or pull the linkage itself to close the carb, but you also dont want the spring to have too high tension where the carb is having to really fight it.

if you have failsafes set correctly on the RX/TX and a throttle return spring you should be covered just fine, shouldnt need a kill switch. to me it seems like just an extra thing to possibly fail, but that is just IMO, though redundancies can be good.

dont know if there is any better way than back, just need a spring with enough tension to overpower an un-powered servo to pull the carb slide closed or pull the linkage itself to close the carb, but you also dont want the spring to have too high tension where the carb is having to really fight it.

if you have failsafes set correctly on the RX/TX and a throttle return spring you should be covered just fine, shouldnt need a kill switch. to me it seems like just an extra thing to possibly fail, but that is just IMO, though redundancies can be good.
sounds good thansk! it seems like just go from the rubber thingy that the servo pulls on to open all the way to the metal of the carb pin?
sorry my engine is bad aha
like this pic?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 4.18.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 4.18.36 PM.png
    474 KB · Views: 188
sounds good thansk! it seems like just go from the rubber thingy that the servo pulls on to open all the way to the metal of the carb pin?
sorry my engine is bad aha
like this pic?
i personally havent used a zip tie around the HSN, usually spring wraps around the HSN itself.
to check to make sure it will work, while the truck is off, hold the servo to open the throttle fully, then let go. if it closes the throttle, quickly should be good, if it is slower or doesn't completely close it, might be best to figure out how to get more tension on the spring.
i guess the way i had typically seen was a spring all the way to the vertical chassis plate, thought that was how they came lol

i personally havent used a zip tie around the HSN, usually spring wraps around the HSN itself.
to check to make sure it will work, while the truck is off, hold the servo to open the throttle fully, then let go. if it closes the throttle, quickly should be good, if it is slower or doesn't completely close it, might be best to figure out how to get more tension on the spring.
i guess the way i had typically seen was a spring all the way to the vertical chassis plate, thought that was how they came lol
sounds good thanks! i believe the savage x comes with one from factory right? cuz i believe I've seen one on my truck, however i assume its too weak to do anything?

**edit**. actually it does, i just noticed mine has one attached. but i thought the purpose of it was to overcome the servo if the servo wasn't told to run. mine seems to work but i feel like maybe the spring is too weak? i got into a crash the other day (it was either battery or transmitter related, and the truck didnt let go of throttle and it hit a wall) idk if the stock string is weak or maybe I'm expecting the throttle return spring to do too much?

Last edited:
A spring is just a waste of time. Trying to find the right one and where to put it. Where you got it now is crap. It doesn't work well with slide carbs well. only roto carbs.

sounds good thanks! i believe the savage x comes with one from factory right? cuz i believe I've seen one on my truck, however i assume its too weak to do anything?

**edit**. actually it does, i just noticed mine has one attached. but i thought the purpose of it was to overcome the servo if the servo wasn't told to run. mine seems to work but i feel like maybe the spring is too weak? i got into a crash the other day (it was either battery or transmitter related, and the truck didnt let go of throttle and it hit a wall) idk if the stock string is weak or maybe I'm expecting the throttle return spring to do too much?
i believe it would have come with one, can't say i remember for sure seeing one, but didnt see brand new ones very often, mostly used ones.
return spring should take into effect if you lose power, with power, it is expected that the failsafe on the RX/TX will close the throttle.
if the servo is having to fight the tension on the spring too much it will wear out and burn up your servo quicker.

In the racing world with professional drivers ,they dont use metal springs no more ,ye-all need to
get with the head of times!...:hehe::hehe::hehe:

They use 3 simple hair rubber bands that go around the the throttle pillow ball an around
over the opening of the carb where the filter goes ,an can go around the HSN!....:hehe:

In the racing world with professional drivers ,they dont use metal springs no more ,ye-all need to
get with the head of times!...:hehe::hehe::hehe:

They use 3 simple hair rubber bands that go around the the throttle pillow ball an around
over the opening of the carb where the filter goes ,an can go around the HSN!....:hehe:
that too, guess i got spoiled having an Ace hardware on the way to my bash spot and i forget about those.

that too, guess i got spoiled having an Ace hardware on the way to my bash spot and i forget about those.

They use those tiny hair rubber bands ,when you put 3 together an install them ,they
are strong an powerful ,they snap that throttle back closed real quick!..:thumbs-up:

Back