Best upgrades for Savage X 4.6?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcobrien

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just about to purchase a Savage X 4.6 & wondered what upgrades are worth considering that will show biggest improvements?

Also, what companies are best for alternative/superior upgrade components?

Is it the new 2011 model or is it a used one? The newer model comes with the bulletproof diffs, orange anodizing and 4 big bore shocks instead of the 8 small shocks. Id say if its the older model, look into the bulletproof ones. Thats about the only upgrade i can suggest. Maybe a new pipe upgrade. These trucks are really tough as is. No need to upgrade it really.

savages come pretty tough right out of the box. stay away from metal a-arms

buy an XL reciever/battery box off e-bay. it will have 3 way switch, so you can use a rechargeable battery pack and you dont need to remove cover to recharge them.
a set of steering bell bearings,
cut the tabs off the steering knuckles...sharper turning radius,
stiffer oil in the shocks...stock is 15w i believe,
take the fueltank off the posts, remove the o-rings and replace with small pieces of fuel line,
get a back-up throttle/brake servo as it will go bad fail fairly soon after you start running the truck (HPI will warranty the servo, but this way you wont have to wait for the replacement)
drive the truck for break-in, dont set it on a block n idle it

tuning guide:https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76808
savage FAQ:http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=646397

Last edited:
Should I use 20% or 25% nitro fuel for the Savage X 4.6?

I run 20 but 25 would be good too. Alot of ppl run 30 but my personal preference is 20

What's the difference? Higher percentage = higher performance?

Yea the higher the number the more power ur gonna get. Cooler temps on the higher percentage too

What's the best brand?

---------- Post added at 3:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:45 PM ----------

Does each percentage have a different impact on engine longevity?

I like byrons, traxxas , blue thunder.

Does anyone know whether the Imax B6 charger is suitable for both the HPI 6.0V & 7.2V battery packs? Attached a photo with all the connectors..

iMax_B6_2.jpg

Is the 3 speed upgrade any good (for Savage X 4.6)? What performance increases would I see?

Anyone know which stands are suitable for the Savage X 4.6? Don't want to spend much & live in the UK. Was hoping for something like this...

work%20stand%20Blue.jpg

Looks like ur gonna need a taller one then that. The savages sit up high. U can go to a plumbing store and buy pvc for dirt cheap and build it urself

Looks like ur gonna need a taller one then that. The savages sit up high. U can go to a plumbing store and buy pvc for dirt cheap and build it urself

Not to thread hijack, but can someone post the dimensions they used with a pic or two, I've been dying to build one. Unfortunately I am not very skilled when it comes to visualizing something and then hand crafting it. If I have a template, or at least some pics with measurements it would help a ton.

thanks