best tmaxx 3.3 break in method

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that makes sense, thanks for lookin out for me! Ooo and before I forget, are there any suggestions on fuel, and nitro I sould run? I used to use blue thunder sport in my old moter, and nitrotane in the newer one but I'm thinking of using the new top fuel for this one. I'm looking for a lot of performance, great tuning, and a lot of protection... I might have to compromise tho...

Last edited:
Blue thunder SUCKS!! Do not use it. same with traxxas. If you can find byron gen2 20% get that. If not then use nitrotane.

Blue thunder SUCKS!! Do not use it. same with traxxas. If you can find byron gen2 20% get that. If not then use nitrotane.
Traxxas Top Fuel is that bad? What's bad about it?
And how much is and how much better is Byron Gen2 20%?

Traxxas fuel has too much oil in it. (About 18%) It makes you're OWB slip and it will drive you nuts. And when you let you're truck sit for too long some fuel get gummed up in the carb and makes it a big pain in the butt! Its simply horrible.

Byron gen2 20% is 100 times better and it has 12% oil which is PLENTY for any engine.

They use top quality oil in byron fuel. Its what pro racers use and what everyday bashers use in the engines and they can't say enough about it.

Lets put it this way....Traxxas fuel is like cheap taiwanese engines and byron fuel is like top quality Italian engines like picco and novarossi.

Traxxas fuel has too much oil in it. (About 18%) It makes you're OWB slip and it will drive you nuts. And when you let you're truck sit for too long some fuel get gummed up in the carb and makes it a big pain in the butt! Its simply horrible.

Byron gen2 20% is 100 times better and it has 12% oil which is PLENTY for any engine.

They use top quality oil in byron fuel. Its what pro racers use and what everyday bashers use in the engines and they can't say enough about it.

Lets put it this way....Traxxas fuel is like cheap taiwanese engines and byron fuel is like top quality Italian engines like picco and novarossi.
Ok how much is it?? And let me run the whole break in procedure by you and tell me if there is anything wrong with it...

1. Prime the engine by blowing threw pressure line,2. Heat engine to 180 degrees with blow bryer, heat gun, etc.and wrap cooling head with al. Foil. 3. Start engine and begin driving in circles at 1/8 throtle with 1/4 bursts for 5 min. each, cooling at bdc for 3 tanks. 4. For 2 tanks drive in circles giving 1/2 throtle with 3/4 bursts cooling at bdc. 5. 1 or 2 tanks driving 3/4 throtle and full throttle bursts, cool at bdc and tune for speed? Let me know if anything is wrong with this or If I lorgot anything... THANKS IN ADVANCE

How much is what? Byron gen2 20%? Umm..Around 35 to 38 a gallon i think thats about what i paid for my gallon.

That break in sounds fine but i would extend it to 7 tanks.

Alright thanks a bunch. So either Byron or nitrotane right... ill keep you updated if you want.... i just dont wanna screw it up:whhooo:

Byron's, Nitrotane, O'Donnell's, and Sidewinder are all good fuels.

Blue Thunder ain't all that bad--broke in my LST with it but switched to Sidewinder when my LST finally got some in...

Will I have to heat the engine to 180 degrees before I start it every time I start it during break in? If so that is going to be a pain in the balls!!!!!

I don't know about that... I would say yes the first time and anytime it is cold out. By cold I mean under 40 degrees.

Wow look at speedy gonzalaz over here! Lmao so only the first time you start your engine and when its cold out. What I meant is like is like on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Break in tanks will I hurt the piston/sleeve/con rod if I don't?

No. You want the engine to heat up and then cool down. That is why it is called the cycle method of breaking in the engine. You want the individual parts to "set" in. Just make sure you rotate your flywheel so that your piston is at Bottom Dead Center when you shut it down for the cooling cycle.

No. You want the engine to heat up and then cool down. That is why it is called the cycle method of breaking in the engine. You want the individual parts to "set" in. Just make sure you rotate your flywheel so that your piston is at Bottom Dead Center when you shut it down for the cooling cycle.
Ok... thanks man apreciate it... can't wait to break it in, but I think its gunna be a while since its too cold here, maybe a month or two before I fire it up and will update once broken in! Its glad to talk about this nitro rc shananagens cuz everyone else I know thinks I'm crazy! (And I probobly am)

Where do you reside?

Let 'em think you are crazy--you get that thing broken in and everyone will want one too!

I am impressed with you--most guys would just fire it up and not even try to do it right. You have shown that you want to do it right and keep it right. That means you will succeed where many others have failed in this madness we lovingly call a hobby...

I live 40 min from boston MA, and its really cold here, which probly wouldn't stop me if the 3.3 was broken in. All my relitives laugh at me whenever it breaks and they tell me to bring it to the mini mechanic, but I'm the one that buys all the parts for it and I'm the one that works on it so I take that as an insult from them! I'm not one of those rich guys who go out and buy whatever they want and buy whatever they break the next day, I'm 14 years old and I mow lawns and shovel snow for my maxxin money!!! Lol and yea I'm tryin to get this tmaxx to last a while (more than 6 months) because I'm getting either an OS .21tm or a picco .26 MAXX with the money I earn in the summer in like october or november, but I won't drop it in till th 3.3 gets tired. which would you prefer? And ya I think I'm crazy cuz I put almost my entire life savings into my other maxx (over a grand) and I had it running for a total of 7 months going threw 2 moters, one I replaced the piston and sleeve which didn't run at all.

The heat cycle method is the best method these days--better than the Traxxas method any day of the week and twice on Sundays. There is a reason Traxxas has an Engine Replacement Program...

Never met a 14 year old RC guru before.

wat about a 13 year old rc guru?

what if i had my lhs do it for me for 45 bucks??? Sould i trust them to do it right because my parents wont let me do it, i asked them what method they use, and they told me they use the traxxas way for the tmaxx 3.3 and i dont know what to do!!!!:angry:

I might be able to do it my self, cross your fingers!!!!!

I saw my LHS "break in" my nephews T Maxx. Guy fires it up on a stand and runs it for five minutes then takes it outside and runs it around the track for a tank. Brings it back inside and says, "It's ready." And THAT cost him $45.00.

Show your parents what we have been telling you here on RCNT. If they are not confident that we can help you and that you are WAY better off doing the cycle method yourself then you have no choice. But I would do it yourself unless YOU are not confident in doing it.

wat about a 13 year old rc guru?

I know guys two, even three times your young age that would not proclaim themselves as a guru. I am not saying you don't know your way around a rig, just saying that guru and "young" don't often go together.

But what do I know? I am a noob with a lot of trigger time behind my nephew's T Maxx. I have only had my rigs for seven months now--I am learning as I go!

Well I have a lot of time to convince them, but I'm pretty sure I have this procedure down, and this is by far better than the traxxas method right? Like I said please cross your fingers and I don't think I'll have a problem! Thanks for helpin me out guys! And no I don't think there is such thing as a 13 year old rc guru in imo, I thought I was and I was dead wrong!

Back