best non ballooning tires for a big block revo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My big block revo should be done soon. Going to get some new rims and tires. I want some that don't balloon up. I can't get the 2.5 to balloon the talons on it. How are the badlands? Any others I shouldn't have to strap with duct tape?

You're going to have ballooning issue no matter what. What I have done is taped them. It didn't completely get rid of the issue but it really helped.

What about glowing the foam insert to the inside of the tire? I was thinking of using the spray vulcanized rubber. Coating the inside of the tire and sticking the foam in and letting it cure to the tire and foam. Or using that rubber cement for inner tubes and wrapping a strip of inner tube to the inside of tire like taping it.

I don't think that will work. The sidewalls will still stretch.

You're gonna be sorry if you waste all that money on nice tires that you have to rig with tape or extra foam etc.
The best combo you can get for a reasonable price is revo 3.8 chevrons off a newer 4910 maxx with traxxas bead 3.8 wheels. They won't balloon much at all compared to prolines.

Yeah and I believe that the foams are not what balloon. It's the tire it's self.

Right. Taping the tire works for a while, but once that tape lets go you have problem tire that is glued to a wheel.

I figure if I glued the foam to the inside of the tire it may keep the tire from ballooning and the tire won't pull loose from it like tape...

I no longer tape my tires. I taped my Trenchers and the tape came loose, it made my tire balloon out on just one spot, it was so bad I had to demount the tires and remove the tape.

There should still be many choices that'll work ok, it's not like it's a brushless truck.

I've taped just the foams before and it cuts down on the ballooning some. Makes the foams not add to the centrifugal force that pulls the tire out. Also, taping the foams is far less likely of letting go than taping the tires themselves, since all the force of the spinning just pushes the foams against the tape vs if you tape the tire the force is trying to pull the tire off the tape.

I may try my head idea with the spray vulcanized rubber. I did it once before when I screwed screws from the inside of a pair of tires to hold them in place. Messy but it worked...

My big block revo should be done soon. Going to get some new rims and tires. I want some that don't balloon up. I can't get the 2.5 to balloon the talons on it. How are the badlands? Any others I shouldn't have to strap with duct tape?

Ipanema makes a belted monster truck slick tire that is great for running on pavement. The belting keeps the tire from ballooning. These tires are really popular with the drag racers.

The only problem is that right now no one has any to sell. Hopefully these will be available after the first of the year.

Lee

Back