Best gearing for the most lowend torque???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30%NitroBoy

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sup guys and gals,

I getting ready to do allot of chit to my maxx as is apparent in other threads but one of the things I've been wanting to do the most is re-gearing. I do 75%+ of my driving off road and I love rockcrawling and hill climbing and need more low-end torque and generallly lower gearing. I packed my diffs with super-thick grease (almost solid..hehe) and that added allot of traction but the gearing is still way off. FYI...I'm running Big Joes now and loving them...bling bling.

What would you guys reco for a good low gear ratio that would also be suitable for the occasonal on-road driving with BIG JOES???

BTW....I don't want a truck that does endless wheelies and is uncontrolable....I'm happy with the one wheel wheelie that I'm getting now...lol WOuld a 16T clutch bell be to low???

Thanks in advance gents

Peace

Last edited:
Bells are cheep. You will have to experiment with different ones to find what works best for you.

Smaller bell = more torque.
Largest Spur = more torque.

Rule of thumb:
3-4 teeth on a spur is equivalent to 1 tooth on a bell.

Just remember all that low end torque is going to eat drive line parts. Invest in a good slipper setup and keep it properly adjusted.

-Ed

fasteddy is right, i am in the process of going to opposite way. right now i have a 22t cb and a 72t spur, but the 72t spur will be changed in to about a 65t. since my engine has way too much torque for what i need i am going to make it go a little faster. also it will lay off my drive line a little bit.

bryan

Thanks for the responses guys,

I wasn't just thinking Spur Gear clutch bell but ring and pinion in my diffs for a lower gear ratio.

Peace

i'm experimenting with a new 54 tooth spur that will allow me to run the 12-18 tooth clutch bells. It fits the rrp small (e maxx) double slipper plate. it will give a very wide range of gear ratios.

Back