Beginners questions!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, i just got into nitro rc's and i'd just like to ask a few things. Can i refuel the car when its running? (Might sound stupid but i've heard the whole system becomes pressurised?), what is the best way to shut down my rc, plug exhaust, stop flywheel or pinch fuel line? Thanks!

The fuel system does become pressurized,that is what the line from the exhaust pipe is for. However you can refuel while it is running. The engine will pull enough fuel on it's own to maintain idle while you refuel it.

To stop the engine,I prefer to stop the flywheel. I've done it all 3 ways but to me restarting seems easier when I use the flywheel.

1) Yes, it is perfectly fine to refuel the car whilst running- obviously not while it's moving though :p
2) I wouldn't recommend stopping the flywheel at all unless you like friction burns and the risk of damaging parts- the best way is to plug the exhaust- pinching the fuel lines is a good way to test the LSN, but it leans out the engine before stopping- this might cause a lack of oil in the cylinder increasing the risk of the engines internals going rusty or seizing up. Also, If you buy new, buy from a reputable brand Like HPI, Traxxas, Hobao, Losi, Xray, Serpent or mugen as well as many others- if you need any help on choosing here's the place to ask :)

As for getting things going, here's two great guides to get you started:

Beginners guide:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/

Tuning guide:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

If you do buy new, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BREAK YOUR ENGINE IN!

Hi guys, i just got into nitro rc's and i'd just like to ask a few things. Can i refuel the car when its running? (Might sound stupid but i've heard the whole system becomes pressurised?), what is the best way to shut down my rc, plug exhaust, stop flywheel or pinch fuel line? Thanks!
Yes

Yes you can refule when running,be quick as you can,and I always put finger on over exaust pipe,also never store care with fuel in tank,even for a day,and always run car empty and then put a few drops of after run oil down the whole where the glow plug goes and pull the engine over 10 times or so to get the oil round the engine and into the bearing's etc,this keeps out moisture and damp,if you don't use after run oil your engine will be fine to rust verry fast and carode,this is due to the nitro fuel,nitro methane attracts water like a magnet so its verry important to run the engine out of fuel completely to look after your engine,I hope this helps,and enjoy your fantastic new hobby.
Regards Dunk

Last edited:
Back