Beginner wants to try a rock crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
budget ?

how much total ?

pay now or later ?

Bigger budget = better LOVE THIS
Low budget= Poor crawler NOT LIKE

Budget ?
endless ?

More money will be better in most cases

I've been ordering Ovonics batteries recently (used to buy Hobbyking but the prices aren't as good anymore). They're cheap, well made and decent performers. Usually i go with 40C or more, although the C ratings are mostly made up so whatever. :)
Another budget Lipo source is CNHL, some of my buddies swear on them.

I've been ordering Ovonics batteries recently (used to buy Hobbyking but the prices aren't as good anymore). They're cheap, well made and decent performers. Usually i go with 40C or more, although the C ratings are mostly made up so whatever. :)
Another budget Lipo source is CNHL, some of my buddies swear on them.
Thanks Nino.

Everyone has great advise here and all the rigs mentioned are good performers. If you want the crawler to look scale while running it a heavier rig with a heavy body like the trx4 defender or the scx10iii are fine rigs. I have the redcat gen8 which fit the bill for scale trail crawling.
For more performance and less scale looks the Trx4 sport is hard to beat. If you go with the sport kit all the heavy body stuff needs to go imo. Parts are cheap, tons of aftermarket and they are very tough. The Ecto mentioned has a lot going for it but is the least scale.
The new scx10lll base camp is also a great place to start and has better steering than the ecto or trx4 and might out perform them all. Definately lower cg out of the box than trx4 sport with the lower transmission. Definately check those out. They’re a new model but the axles are proven and the best steering of any portal axle that I know of.
Have fun!

Everyone has great advise here and all the rigs mentioned are good performers. If you want the crawler to look scale while running it a heavier rig with a heavy body like the trx4 defender or the scx10iii are fine rigs. I have the redcat gen8 which fit the bill for scale trail crawling.
For more performance and less scale looks the Trx4 sport is hard to beat. If you go with the sport kit all the heavy body stuff needs to go imo. Parts are cheap, tons of aftermarket and they are very tough. The Ecto mentioned has a lot going for it but is the least scale.
The new scx10lll base camp is also a great place to start and has better steering than the ecto or trx4 and might out perform them all. Definately lower cg out of the box than trx4 sport with the lower transmission. Definately check those out. They’re a new model but the axles are proven and the best steering of any portal axle that I know of.
Have fun!
Hey JimBob...
Alot of good information there. Thanks alot for responding, you gave me alot more to bounce around in my head.

The good news is that most likely what ever you choose will have a new partner soon after, if your like the rest of us. That means you get to try out more than one brand if you want too. ;)

The good news is that most likely what ever you choose will have a new partner soon after, if your like the rest of us. That means you get to try out more than one brand if you want too. ;)
Hey Doom....
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I got a dozen cars now and about to jump into another money pit. But you know.....that's what I like to do.
I think I've decided on the Element ECTO. I want the army green but they are all out of stock so I will wait til they're back and order it. It should be fine to get me started in crawling.
Thanks to you and all the other members for the help you gave. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
CharlieTuna

Hey Doom....
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I got a dozen cars now and about to jump into another money pit. But you know.....that's what I like to do.
I think I've decided on the Element ECTO. I want the army green but they are all out of stock so I will wait til they're back and order it. It should be fine to get me started in crawling.
Thanks to you and all the other members for the help you gave. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
CharlieTuna
I think your going to like it a lot. Congrats on a whole new genre of RC addiction. I like having the variety of being able to go tear it up with my bashers, or have a relaxing challenge with my crawlers. Now we need to get you addicted to SCX24's! :)

You could always go with a couple little SCX24's to wet your whistle before jumping into the bigger ones 😉
20220601_214043.jpg

You could always go with a couple little SCX24's to wet your whistle before jumping into the bigger ones 😉
View attachment 147495
That's what I did. Trust me, it was a good idea. I saved hundreds (maybe thousands?) by testing all my build ideas on smaller cheaper rigs

I think your going to like it a lot. Congrats on a whole new genre of RC addiction. I like having the variety of being able to go tear it up with my bashers, or have a relaxing challenge with my crawlers. Now we need to get you addicted to SCX24's! :)
I was just checking out the SCX24 JT Gladiator at amain. Actually pretty cool. About half inch longer WB and lights. Battery comes with. Might be top heavy with all that stuff up top. I'm just thinking...which usually progresses. Could use this to mess with while waiting for the ECTO to get back in stock. Still thinking.

Gladiator and the Bronco are both the newest SCX24's and both are fun. I highly recommend getting one, if nothing else they are great fun at lunch time and are perfect travel companions. They also give you something to play with indoors on rainy days. I should get a commission! (SCX24 Pimp!) :)

Gladiator and the Bronco are both the newest SCX24's and both are fun. I highly recommend getting one, if nothing else they are great fun at lunch time and are perfect travel companions. They also give you something to play with indoors on rainy days. I should get a commission! (SCX24 Pimp!) :)
Yeah, at least. You guys are an influence, I don't know whether bad or good yet.
I have one small scale in my stable. It's a Losi TT.
Cool little truck.

If you do go down the 1/10 scale. I have a suggestion for batteries, been using these little bad boys for a while I get about 2hrs maybe more on my TRX 4 with 99% crawling

Gens-ace-soaring-2700mah 3s

They even fit the front battery tray on a TRX 4.

I'm curious as to what cars you have?

For crawlers, scx10 ii and iii, trx 4, and a few others I can't seem to remember.

I started on a 10.2 kit, stock axial brushed esc, using brushed rc4wd and axial motors. I recently put a sensored castle copper head 2250kv in. Its a different animal now. If money allows, and you have a course technical enough, sensored brushless is the way to go.

I run 3s, but am thinking of trying 4s.

Brass down low works wonders also!
Redcat Marksman TC8 1/8. Love mine. Quality at a fair price with great customer service.

Attachments

• 3CE00445-E197-4C2B-9B26-23BE20F5CBE2.png
    3CE00445-E197-4C2B-9B26-23BE20F5CBE2.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 35
Back