Beginner vehicle?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drragonx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey, I'm 17 and am new to nitro rc cars. My brother has an HSP tyranasoraus 1/10 so I have some experience driving it but I don't like it at all. (Parts come off easily lol). I am planning for a one time big investment. I thought of buying traxxas revo 3.3 but found out that the spares are too expensive. Please suggest a good starter.
My reqs:
4wd, waterproof, 2.4ghz, reverse, ROSS/Ez start/roto start, 1/10 or 1/8, (no cars/buggy), should be able to drive through deserts, rocky terrain, forest as well as on streets. And most importantly be within $500 with not too expensive spares.

Hpi savage x 4.6. It's tuff right out of the box, the 4.6 is a good strong engine that is easy and forgiving to tune. It doesn't have reverse but you can add it if you want.

Well anything in the savage line would be nice.. do you plan on exclusively buying new? Also have you considered electric? if you have look at the savage xs, its about a 1/10th size. its listed as 1/12th but its about as big as my b4.2. Before I really start recommending anything I need to know if you want to stick with just nitro rigs, or if you are interested in electric as well.

+1 on the HPI savage line! My first RC was a savage X 4.6, which was a cool truck. I have moved onto electric now. I'm 16yrs old so I was kinda in the same seat as you...

Brandon

My first nitro truck was the Revo 3.3. It was strong enough out of the box that the only thing I ever really broke with the stock 3.3 was the Reverse.

So its either revo 3.3 or hpi savage.

---------- Post added at 1:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:45 AM ----------

Well anything in the savage line would be nice.. do you plan on exclusively buying new? Also have you considered electric? if you have look at the savage xs, its about a 1/10th size. its listed as 1/12th but its about as big as my b4.2. Before I really start recommending anything I need to know if you want to stick with just nitro rigs, or if you are interested in electric as well.

Yup I'm planning to buy a brand new and I'm not interested in electric. shoul I get a monster truck or consider truggies?

Do you have a track nearby, and if you do what can you run on the track? Are you going to be going to the track in the first place? All of these affected the purchase of my first car.

I dont have a track around :( so bc of that i went with a monster truck i got a t maxx that started as a 2.5 but its slowly turning into the updated version

Last edited:
Truggies are cool but for your application I think the monster truck would be the way to go.

Sounds to me like the best for your budget is gonna be a t maxx, next best a revo, the savages

Sounds to me like the best for your budget is gonna be a t maxx, next best a revo, the savages

Tbh budget doesn't matter as long as it doesn't exceed $1500. And no there isn't a track nearby. Mostly, I will be dune bashing in the deserts as I live in uae. I contacted my local hobby shop and found out that he has spares for savage x4.6 and revo 3.3. So my question is revo or savage. I need something that's not too complicated and suitable for jumps! (Not like the hsp tyrannosaurus which breaks apart easily)

The savage is going to be more durable that the revo. They are just different styles of monster truck. The savage is more the basher the revo is lighter and more agile.

Is your budget 500 or 1500? if its 1500, i would go gasser all the way, HPI baja 5b or 5t if you live in the desert, either of these would be a blast. Just my .02, no real tuning curve with these either, and gas is alot cheaper!!

Is your budget 500 or 1500? if its 1500, i would go gasser all the way, HPI baja 5b or 5t if you live in the desert, either of these would be a blast. Just my .02, no real tuning curve with these either, and gas is alot cheaper!!

But is gas too advanced for a beginner?

i agree with tmaxx freak if your gonna be in the dunes alot and have plenty of room to run id go with a baja if not that either a savage x or xl

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

gas is much easier imo

Are the servos in savage 4.6 terrible? (Just read the thread titled "savage 4.6 keeps dying")

A stronger steering servo is something a lot of people upgrade first on the savage but it isn't a must do. My savage xl is 4 years old still with stock servo. My x4.6 is almost 2yrs old also w/stock servo.

My savages have stock servos also its not required to upgrade unless you need more.

Gassers are easier to tune, but they dOnt have the guts a nitro does. Personally I've never owned a gasser but have drive quite a few. They are a blast. They are between electric and nitro when it comes to ease of use. And if you get a gasser I would consider used. There is a baja 5b as on sale in the best section for 600. Then u can upgrade what you want to.

Back