Beginner Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parag0n

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys, i'm looking at getting into nitro... i'v had loads of toy RC cars before and now i think its time to take my hobby to the next level :D

anyway, i'v been looking at 1/10 scale nitro buggies, as i will mostly be useing it offroad... i have a budget of about £200 max, looking at the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19168&item=5905013747&rd=1
Winner Sport 1/10 nitro rtr

I think this car comes with everything i'd need to run it... also i'd have some cash laft over for a second set of tyres, a stick controller or something ;) (hate those wheel type controllers)

reading through the FAQs at the top of the page, i'll probably grab a few fuel filters (spares). anythign else i'll defo need to extend the lifetime of my engine?

thanks
Parag0n

ps. i'm in the UK, anyone around manchester know of a club or somewhere i can get advice once i buy the car?

First off, goto your Local Hobby Shop and see what cars they support in parts. That's the biggest thing in your choice of cars since you really don't wanna mail order everything.

Are you looking into getting a monster truck, 4wd buggy, 2wd buggy?

i really belive you would be better off buying duratrax (still not great but in your budget) than that thing. its a smartech car. now granted i dont have a problem with the micro heli i have of thiers. but getting parts can be a pain. fortunitly i can use other brand parts on my heli. but the only other 1/10 4wd gas buggie i know of is the tr-15 by kyosho. i doubt those parts would fit. try looking for an HPI or traxxas car in your price range in a RTR (ready to run) package.

Hope this helps

Parag0n said:
hey guys, i'm looking at getting into nitro... i'v had loads of toy RC cars before and now i think its time to take my hobby to the next level :D

anyway, i'v been looking at 1/10 scale nitro buggies, as i will mostly be useing it offroad... i have a budget of about £200 max, looking at the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19168&item=5905013747&rd=1
Winner Sport 1/10 nitro rtr

I think this car comes with everything i'd need to run it... also i'd have some cash laft over for a second set of tyres, a stick controller or something ;) (hate those wheel type controllers)

reading through the FAQs at the top of the page, i'll probably grab a few fuel filters (spares). anythign else i'll defo need to extend the lifetime of my engine?

thanks
Parag0n

ps. i'm in the UK, anyone around manchester know of a club or somewhere i can get advice once i buy the car?

Hi,

Always good to hear from someone else in the UK getting into nitro. First I have some not so positive advice I'm afraid. Be prepared for lots more hassle and maintenance than electric cars. I really can't stress this enough. Having said that they are also loads more fun once you have the hang of how to get them running right etc but the patience of an angel and then some is required. I've had a look at that link, I've never heard of that car before although it looks lots like the Kyosho Inferno TR-15. The thing to remember is that you WILL break it so you must make sure you can get parts for it. Although it is a cheap car, if it sits on the shelf broken, it's a waste of time and money. I once had a TR-15, I would seriously steer you away from this car and 1/10th buggy’s like it. Sorry to be so negative, but the car was very fragile, it cost me more in parts etc to keep it going than if I had bought a 1/8th buggy in the first place. 1/8th buggy's in general are much stronger so you will get more playtime for your ££. That's what I now run, and have never looked back. The Power racing swift can be bought for £200 now at my LHS: http://www.apexmodels.com/product-search.php?call=show&cat=kits&man=87&catid=21 It's not a championship winning buggy, but it's leagues better than a 1/10th nitro buggy. There is also lots of info on here as what needs to be done to make it more reliable. There is lots of choice in 1/8th buggy's depending what your budget is going to be.
Also, although it's a little while off I should soon be selling R/C cars on ebay at prices that will blow the socks off of UK model shops. Hope to have this up and running July/August this year. Pm me if your interested, I'll keep you informed.

Anyway have fun, hope this helps.

i HIGHLY suggest that you do NOT get a smartech. they are complete junk. also, don't get a 1/10 nitro buggy. almost no one has them, and there's no racing class for them if you want to race it. instead get something like a 1/10 nitro truck. an xtm x-cellerator is really cheap, yet good quality, powerful and fast. there's also rc10gt's, xxx-nt's, etc.

get the one you can get parts for its really a bummer to have a buggy that has to sit for 1-2 weeks for parts,it will discurage you and you'll end up back to elec.

Storming said:
Hi,

Always good to hear from someone else in the UK getting into nitro. First I have some not so positive advice I'm afraid. Be prepared for lots more hassle and maintenance than electric cars. I really can't stress this enough. Having said that they are also loads more fun once you have the hang of how to get them running right etc but the patience of an angel and then some is required. I've had a look at that link, I've never heard of that car before although it looks lots like the Kyosho Inferno TR-15. The thing to remember is that you WILL break it so you must make sure you can get parts for it. Although it is a cheap car, if it sits on the shelf broken, it's a waste of time and money. I once had a TR-15, I would seriously steer you away from this car and 1/10th buggy’s like it. Sorry to be so negative, but the car was very fragile, it cost me more in parts etc to keep it going than if I had bought a 1/8th buggy in the first place. 1/8th buggy's in general are much stronger so you will get more playtime for your ££. That's what I now run, and have never looked back. The Power racing swift can be bought for £200 now at my LHS: http://www.apexmodels.com/product-search.php?call=show&cat=kits&man=87&catid=21 It's not a championship winning buggy, but it's leagues better than a 1/10th nitro buggy. There is also lots of info on here as what needs to be done to make it more reliable. There is lots of choice in 1/8th buggy's depending what your budget is going to be.
Also, although it's a little while off I should soon be selling R/C cars on ebay at prices that will blow the socks off of UK model shops. Hope to have this up and running July/August this year. Pm me if your interested, I'll keep you informed.

Anyway have fun, hope this helps.

i love maintenence! pulling stuff apart and fixing minor faults is imo the second most fun thing ever (i think you can guess the first ;) )

hmm, the one you posted looks pretty good, but it'd require another £60 for the starter pack so i could run it :| as i said, i've only ever run toy RC's before (radioshack, tyco etc)

i hadnt thought about getting parts... doh ;) looks like i'm gonna be runnign 1/8.... ah well, bigger is better lol. i'll probably go to my local model shop, see what thy have there, but when i'm home (not @ uni) we only have one, and its an hours bus ride away. I'm lucky when i'm at uni, there are 3 model shops in Aberystwyth :D

Last edited:
well, i'v been looking around and have decided to wait a while, save up and grab myself a savage :)

now i've seen somethign about reverse modules for them, so i guess that stock they can't reverse? i think reversing is the main thing i do when driving RC!

Just wondering does neone know how many dollars are in a euro or what ever that little thing is.

Parag0n said:
well, i'v been looking around and have decided to wait a while, save up and grab myself a savage :)

now i've seen somethign about reverse modules for them, so i guess that stock they can't reverse? i think reversing is the main thing i do when driving RC!
Savages are great! They are definetely a good choice if you like MTs. They can not reverse stock, you have to buy the reverse moduel before you can do that. Another nitro I would suggest is an XTM X-Terminator, they are 1/8 buggies and are very fast and can out handle a savage any day, but they can't take the bumps a savage can. The X-Terminator can be had for 349.99 USD. Either one you will love! Good luck.

Mach.21 said:
Just wondering does neone know how many dollars are in a euro or what ever that little thing is.

its a pound sign... iirc its £1 = $1.84