Beautiful Custom Tranny Plate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just had to show off my new bling. This is a custom tranny plate that I asked Joe of East End Machining to build for me. I had high expectations, and this work exceeded them by miles. Unfortunately, it's dark out and the pics didn't come out very good. I'm not familiar with all the manual expsosure and flash settings to take a good picture. This work is absolutely beautiful. My uncle also owns a machine shop that specializes in high end specialty engine parts, so I know what quality looks like. The fit and finish on these pieces is absolutely amazing. Here's how this came about.

I was looking for a special skid plate that I had seen somewhere. No one carried it in stock, so I asked Joe if he could special order it. He did some research and found out that it had been discontinued. He sent me an email that went something like this: "Charlie, I've been checking everywhere imaginable, and that piece has been discontinued and there aren't any left. I know you really wanted that style, so I'm going to machine you a custom piece and you can design how you would like it." So I told him exactly what I wanted. The CTM that is engraved on there is for my user name on here "CharliesTheMan". I asked Joe to put that on there, and he went and bought a special tool and software package just so he could do that for me. The fit and finish alone in this piece is incredible, but with the customer service that Joe has, it makes it a pleasure to buy parts from him. If anyone in interested in one of these tranny plates, let me know and I might be able to get you one.

100_0117.jpg

100_0124.jpg

100_0125.jpg

You can't tell because the pictures are really bad, but the finish has been polished and it's reflective, almost like chrome, which is why it was so hard to take the pictures.

Last edited:
oh wow man thats very nice. lucky sob lol, thats a nice peice to have....rollin in style.

Wait until you see what I have up my sleeve for the future... ;)

Those are sweet, I was at his shop the other day and saw them in person. I am definitely gonna have to pick one up from him for my Scorpion.

That's a truly magnificent piece, very very well made. Give Joe a pat on the back for me, having fab'd my own stuff (pretty shoddily, in most cases) I know how hard that stuff is to do :)

I have a criticism however, the slots in the base, presumably to lighten it, *may* get stuff jammed up in them and hang up. Very much depends on your terrain, and the rocks, but one of my big MOs with my upcoming AX-10 build is to keep the underside as slippery as possible.

If it bothers you but you want to use the plate just whack a couple of strips of duct tape over the slots. I know it's kinda of a spoiler on such a fine piece of work, but it'll let you keep the plate and stop it hanging up.

Also, if you could get one machined in Delrin without the slots, and with a 55mm chassis width, I'd take 2. :)

what tranny is it tapped for?

i wanna see pics after your first comp. haha

very nice, i hate to scratch it!, lol

It is made to be a direct replacement for the stock axial plastic tranny plate, so it is drilled for an axial tranny.

That's a truly magnificent piece, very very well made. Give Joe a pat on the back for me, having fab'd my own stuff (pretty shoddily, in most cases) I know how hard that stuff is to do :)

I have a criticism however, the slots in the base, presumably to lighten it, *may* get stuff jammed up in them and hang up. Very much depends on your terrain, and the rocks, but one of my big MOs with my upcoming AX-10 build is to keep the underside as slippery as possible.

If it bothers you but you want to use the plate just whack a couple of strips of duct tape over the slots. I know it's kinda of a spoiler on such a fine piece of work, but it'll let you keep the plate and stop it hanging up.

Also, if you could get one machined in Delrin without the slots, and with a 55mm chassis width, I'd take 2. :)

This is mostly just a show piece. I have some delrin stuff up my sleeve, so stay tuned for what's to come.

Oh, I see, it's for a shelf queens only then ;)

Well I guess when you have as many Crawlers as Charlie then you can't use them ALL at once, you've gotta keep one for show :)

wow charlie thats a beautiful plate you got there. thats is quality work.

What you mean for show only?

Well it's fully functional and could be used on the rocks just fine. Some people wouldn't want you to use it on a comp rig because it's got those grooves in it. However, most people would probably be happy with its performance, that aren't looking for the extra .0001% for a comp rig, but for those that are the most concerned with performance rather than looks, I have something else in the works.