Basic Questions About Body Materials

• Thread starter Burned-Out_Motor
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burned-Out_Motor

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I can’t find a thread on this so point me in the right direction if need be. In short:

1. I want to repaint an RC body of a Chinese entry model RC car. I’m not sure of the material - it’s like a Ben Cooper Halloween mask material from the ‘60s. I’m guessing that’s polycarbonate. So - on those type bodies, I could use a Tamiya polycarbonate paint on the OUTSIDE, correct?

2. For a clear Lexan body one would paint the INSIDE with an RC paint right?

Yes, on clear body you paint on the inside.
That's the downside of repainting on the outside, it will scratch.

Lexan paint should stick to whatever plastic that is... Tamiya or otherwise

Yes, on clear body you paint on the inside.
That's the downside of repainting on the outside, it will scratch.
Oh, of course. Any RC car that's driven is going to get scuffed. It seems Lexan and polycarbonate are the same.

https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx?contentkey=863

Regarding the "Halloween Mask" type bodies, obviously those are painted on the outside (and will get scraped and damaged). Correct me if I'm wrong but those type bodies (that are painted on the outside) seem like a type of plastic.

Will any traditional plastic model paint (or Krylon or Rustoleum) work on those? It doesn't seem that I need to get special polycarbonate RC paint for that. Correct?

krylon will come off in sheets it will not stick to body.not sure about rustoleum

Last edited:
Lexan paint should stick to whatever plastic that is... Tamiya or otherwise
Ok. Thanks. I just need to know what paint I’m supposed to use. It sounds like the polycarbonate paint should work for anything.

I want to repaint an RC body

There are several methods to remove paint where brake fluid will dissolve aerosol sprayed paint and acetone will remove silk screen paint. Both methods are extremely labor intensive making them more trouble than it's worth. Generally most people buy a clear lexan lid as these are considered disposable items, but have at it if you've got the time to remove old paint.

Best of luck!

Lexan paint will adhere to lexan bodies. Are you painting the body on the inside?

Back