Basic Equipment / Advanced Equipment

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomfloate

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi there, I am just starting the 'addiction' really ... and I had a couple of questions about equipment that I should have ...

I have the following
  • Glow Plug Starter
  • Glow Plug Wrench
  • Hex Key Set
  • Fuel Filter
  • Fuel Bottle
  • Batteries
  • Screwdrivers

Are there any other things that you guys would recommend to keep in the toolbox?

What kind of things should I expect to get as I carry on?

wire snippers, zip ties, back up glow plug starter, small tuning screwdriver, temp gun, towel (a golf towel works great! you can snap it on your belt loop), spare parts, extra plugs, band aids, after run oil, filter oil, thats all i can think of, it to early in the morning.

Last edited:
Beason already mentioned it, but I wanted to mention it again. Get a temp gun, before you even buy your first can of fuel. IMO it's a necessary piece of equipment for break-in and fine tuning. I started into nitro about 4 months ago and I didn't have a temp gun to begin with, been kicking myself ever since. It's so easy to lean out your engine too much and if you run it too hot for too long, it will take a toll on your motor.

Expect some frustrations during break-in and tuning. Sometimes it's just better to stop for the day when you start having problems and you're getting frustrated. Nitro's take a lot of work (compared to electric) but for most of us that's just part of the fun. Good luck!!

wire snippers, zip ties, back up glow plug starter, small tuning screwdriver, temp gun, towel (a gold towel works great! you can snap it on your belt loop), spare parts, extra plugs, band aids, after run oil, filter oil, thats all i can think of, it to early in the morning.

+1 on all the above and temp gun is a absolute necessity I believe he meant golf towel.

i totally agree with beason
he said it all thats basically all you need in a toolbox

wire snippers, zip ties, back up glow plug starter, small tuning screwdriver, temp gun, towel (a golf towel works great! you can snap it on your belt loop), spare parts, extra plugs, band aids, after run oil, filter oil, thats all i can think of, it to early in the morning.

+1, and some needle nose pliers, scissors/knife, extra body clips, loc tite, extra fuel line, assorted screws, electrical tape.

i know there is more in my tool boxs but thats just off the top of my head.