Baja 5b clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
How can I tell if my Baja 5b clutch is slipping. I am not new to the hobby but I am new to the 1/5 scale stuff got truck used and it was beat pretty bad. I think the pipe might be a top end pipe because it just does not have that much rip off the bottom end. Something just don't seem right.:D

If your running a 23cc motor, they are not known for bottom end power without some mods, the easiest way to check your clutch is listen to it when you take off, if the motor is at high rpms and the truck not moving fast then you need a clutch, or just pull the clutch bell and check to see if its wore.

Last edited:
I own several 1/5 scale, HPI 5t ,5sc and a Losi 5ive. Just depends if the previous owner put a high RPM clutch spring in, my 5t has a 9 to 10,000 rpm lunch spring and it kinda acts that way. Take off the clutch bell and inspect the amount of pad let on the clutch. See if its really shiney almost a glazed look. See if you can expand the shoe easily, if so you need a clutch.

Guy I got it from said he installed a higher RPM clutch, think I might be sending the baja down the road to fund other projects. I am just not that impressed with the 1/5th scale stuff. Fuel is cheaper than Nitro but it seems to lack the rip nitro has. And parts are way higher.

A good setup with a tuned pipe and a Baja or 5ive will rip it up just fine. Can't beat the 30+ minutes of run time on a tank before refueling and going back for more.

8 or so minutes of run time with an annoying sounding nitro just doesn't cut it for me.

Run time is nice, price of fuel is nice. It does have a high dollar tuned pipe on it, don't know brand guy said he paid alot of money for it. I may get it out this spring and install new clutch tires wheels body and replace the few screws its missing, try and put a good tune on it. Problem is its so freakin loud, I can't hear myself think while running it. As for nitro I enjoy the beautiful exhaust sounds they make. But i am old school and I would rather have a old 2 stroke race quad than a big bore 4 stroker any day.:D

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

Run time is nice, price of fuel is nice. It does have a high dollar tuned pipe on it, don't know brand guy said he paid alot of money for it. I may get it out this spring and install new clutch tires wheels body and replace the few screws its missing, try and put a good tune on it. Problem is its so freakin loud, I can't hear myself think while running it. As for nitro I enjoy the beautiful exhaust sounds they make. But i am old school and I would rather have a old 2 stroke race quad than a big bore 4 stroker any day.:D

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

Sell the pipe and buy a 5T pipe for it. Then you will have funds for the 5T pipe and new wheels/tires as that won't be cheap either.

I run a 5T pipe on mine. It showed up before the baja did! lol! Wanted more pep than the stock pipe and people said the 5T pipe wasn't bad. It's not too loud and seems to get the job done for me.

I just wish it sat about an inch higher in the rear and was 4wd... Seemed good in theory for where I run, but end result is I have a $1200 truck on a shelf that I ran once last year. I run my nitros always instead.