Asc reflex 14t spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6spdls1z28

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Got this for my son for his birthday. He drove it Saturday for about 5 minutes and it stripped the spur gear. Didn’t jump it or anything just normal back and forth. Pulled it apart and looked like the mesh wasn’t set right from factory. So I put a new one in that came in the box. This was nice never had another rc come with a spare guess there’s a reason for it. Anyway put the new one in set the mesh perfect has a weird setup with a cam with teeth to adjust the mesh. About 5 minutes in did the same thing spinning motor and not moving. It seems like the motor is not staying in place with this setup is there any trick to it? I called associated waiting for a call back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I threadlock my motors no clue if it's bad for them but they haven't broken yet. generally you should threadlock any screws that go into metal if you don't like losing your screws

I threadlock my motors no clue if it's bad for them but they haven't broken yet. generally you should threadlock any screws that go into metal if you don't like losing your screws
This one isn’t a traditional one where you loosen 2screws on the motor and slide it to the spur. It has a cam mounted to the motor with teeth on it and teeth down in the chassis. Look closely at the pictures you will see what I mean.

motor was not correctly shimmed that's why spur was destroyed. you should not need to locktite motor screws unless they are worn and sloppy..i fold a piece of note book paper a small piece mash it in between gears and tighten motor screws never had a gear failure.

I freakin' hate when company's try to idiot proof gear mesh setup by using a device to time the motor. So after setting mesh by locking motor into the correct teeth, it's just a plastic cover holding the motor there. Yuk!

On the 21531 moto mount cam, is there any adjustment of the motor in there? Or do the motor screws hold the mount on there firmly?

What a terrible design!
Untitled.png

motor was not correctly shimmed that's why spur was destroyed. you should not need to locktite motor screws unless they are worn and sloppy..i fold a piece of note book paper a small piece mash it in between gears and tighten motor screws never had a gear failure.
See the teeth on the bottom of the motor and the big teeth down in the chassis. That’s how you set this one. I had the mesh perfectly together on it. The motor has to be turning in there and not staying in place. Then you have the cover that holds everything down.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I freakin' hate when company's try to idiot proof gear mesh setup by using a device to time the motor. So after setting mesh by locking motor into the correct teeth, it's just a plastic cover holding the motor there. Yuk!

On the 21531 moto mount cam, is there any adjustment of the motor in there? Or do the motor screws hold the mount on there firmly?

What a terrible design!
View attachment 160691
There’s no adjustment it’s set in place.

See the teeth on the bottom of the motor and the big teeth down in the chassis. That’s how you set this one. I had the mesh perfectly together on it. The motor has to be turning in there and not staying in place. Then you have the cover that holds everything down.

View attachment 160692

View attachment 160697

There’s no adjustment it’s set in place.
Yeah, so you are at the mercy of the very thin plastic cover holding the weight of that entire motor. Really, really, really, really dumb design! Really dumb.

Yeah, so you are at the mercy of the very thin plastic cover holding the weight of that entire motor. Really, really, really, really dumb design! Really dumb.
It’s very irritating because it’s a neat little car. I’m still waiting for a call back from associated. I can’t find much after market for it either. Was hoping either a metal spur or metal cover. It’s insane it’s doing this without even jumping it.

you should be able to rotate motor in slot to get a tade more clearance the way it was set was to tight it ate the spur.

you should be able to rotate motor in slot to get a tade more clearance the way it was set was to tight it ate the spur.
It didn’t completely eat the second gear after I set it only the first. The motor completely moved and was spinning free. The gear in right now can still be used.

Got an answer from tech help at associated. Guy said you have to file the teeth on the bottom part to grip the cam teeth. And put a small piece of business card paper between it. This is completely bs having to do this on a brand new car.

Got an answer from tech help at associated. Guy said you have to file the teeth on the bottom part to grip the cam teeth. And put a small piece of business card paper between it. This is completely bs having to do this on a brand new car.
That is absolutely ridiculous! I would have demanded a refund.

Talked to the tech guy again today I’m getting a couple new spur gears and I’m going to modify it and if it doesn’t work they’re going to take it back surprisingly. Not too sure about associated anymore.

Did you get this issue sorted?

I’m considering this buggy but I keep hearing about stripped spurs. YouTube tells me it’s the forward bearing of the center diff that fails first and then takes the spur gear out as it rocks around. Securing that end would support the center diff better and keep it aligned with the pinion. Not having one of my own I can’t confirm though.