As finished as it'll ever be

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from the dead with the big block revo that cannot be killed!

Shelved it again for a while due to the ongoing 'exploding slipper gear' issue & the 'busted rear diff' issue, bought a mini erevo brushless to take out with the kids.
A neighbour asked me what happened to that noisy wheelstanding RC thing I had a few months ago commenting that it was cool as poop.
So I dragged it back out, cleaned the crap off & got it up & running again - & solved both the slipper & diff problems!!!!
Slipper turned out to be a dead easy fix, I just slapped a stock TRX 38t plastic slipper gear on it & loosened off the hot racing slipper - gah! the amount of $ I've wasted on fancy steel gear setups brings a tear to the eye. The steel gears don't like shock loading, they shatter or loose teeth, when the chassis flexes on a landing or crash it belts the clutch bell gear into the slipper gear & hurts it. The plasic gear just flexes a bit & is unharmed.
Another upside is I haven't sheared a single pin in the trans since I started using the plastic gears.
Constantly exploding rear diff was fixed when I realised that the integy alloy carrier was a bee's nasty too wide between the pinion bearings, putting them under tension & chopping them out real quick resulting in metal all through everything & a very limited diff lifespan.
Fixed with a dremel.
Hasn't broken a slipper gear or diff since & it's been beat on hard.
The old solidier Losi 454 got a RAG rebuild a short while back as well, I picked the biggest of 3 pistons & the smallest of 3 sleeves & the best of the bearings & slapped it together, good compression, idles nice, holds a tune & makes plenty of grunt - go figure.
Just gave it a clean up after a couple of hours at a BMX track on the weekend, it came home still driving.

I guess it may be finished now, just maintenance from here on I suspect.

31532434914_6c0db8f3fd_b.jpg
DSC00471 by tony knight, on Flickr

32335935596_87a48148d8_b.jpg
DSC00472 by tony knight, on Flickr

32374982845_2415e26d01_b.jpg
DSC00473 by tony knight, on Flickr

32254946941_163d6ab749_b.jpg
DSC00474 by tony knight, on Flickr

I love that roll bar still!

My BB LRP28 revo has held up ok outside the trans. The last time I took it apart (sheared pin I think), it had been so long since I had it open that I forgot completely that I had the slayer output gears in it. The input/2-speed are both RRP steel with the stock ratio. I vaguely recall doing that on purpose, sort of, as in the past, the only gears I'd fry were the input shaft and 2 speed gears. However, I don't recall sticking with slayer output gears for a reason.

I've yet to replace a diff in that thing. I've replaced axles and clutch shoes as they wore, but the diffs are original and have at least 5 gallons on them. I've never taken them out. lol! I've always kept a plastic spur in it, but I do run a 1/8th clutch/bell on it. The 1/10 just wouldn't transfer the power without melting the shoes.

When I got my OS21TM for my other revo, I was shearing pins and grinding gears before I even finished break-in. With that one, I just went full RRP steel with standard ratio in the trans.

Surprising how some trucks hold up for no reason at all. Back in the day, with my BB t-maxx, if I just looked at the diff funny, it spit out it's teeth.

Yeah, I reckon a lot of my previous diff issues stemmed from using it a lot on bitumen with big sticky road rage tyres & a slight love for wheelstands.
It mostly lives on dirt now & stuff breaks a whole lot less!

Good to see some guys still have their Revo's, I never see any others, just truggys & buggies & they are all mostly brushless (soulless).

Forgot to mention, in my BB revo, I also have a t-maxx brake disk in place of the slipper shoes. Those burned up on me a few times, but the brake disk has been fine for years.
2010-0321-SlayerSlipperDiskFromTmaxx01.jpg

2010-0321-SlayerSlipperDiskFromTmaxx02.jpg

As for soulless, I just got my first non-micro electric rig for Christmas from my wife. E-Revo Brushless Edition. My LRP revo doesn't hold a candle to the torque this thing has... but I still like my nitro's. Having the brushless rig lets me run in a skatepark again and in the cold/wet weather. My skatepark just had a massive dog park put next to it that always (and I mean always) has at least 2 or 3 people in it with their dogs. They do not care for the sound of nitro at all.