Are nitros more trouble than there worth

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumb68

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I got two cars for my kids at Christmas, I followed the guide on running in although had loads of trouble starting up,
After that one would work and other wouldn't,
Today I got both running after a long time of trying at home before going out,
Got there and got one started but not the other so had to give up on that one, then the other stopped and that was the end of that.
Seriously thinking of selling them and my kids agree, surely all these cars can't be as bad as this, am I just extremely unlucky

There is all kinds of variables that can come into play such as weather and climate for where you live. The cars/trucks usually come from the factory with a fairly rich setting for break in, just follow the manufacturers instructions, make sure all your batteries are new and or charged. Once you get them running and broke in it is pretty basic. Nitros are not for people with no patience, sometimes you have to make very minor adjustments to the motor depending on weather, usually those adjustments are only 1/8th of a turn away on the HSN or LSN.

Running nitro's is not for everyone. I started my son on a nitro and he gave it up and went to electric. If you do it right, they should start right up. Do a google search for "how to start a nitro rc engine" and watch some video's on it. The main things you have to have right are 1) The fuel line has to be full right up to the carb. You have to prime it and get the line full but after the line fills, don't keep priming it because you will flood the engine. 2) The glow plug ignitor has to be charged up good and make the plug glow.
You can check this with a spare plug or take the one out of the engine and check it.
As Chaos stated, if these are new cars, the factory settings for breaking in your engines are going to be rich (putting a lot of fuel it it) and you will have to follow the break in procedure for your engine.

Nitro has a steep learning curve, and jumping right in without an experienced person to show you the ropes is going to be frustrating. As well, you didn't mention what the kits were, but some of the cheaper ones definitely are more trouble than they're worth.

Watch some youtube videos on tuning nitro engines, and any questions that are still unanswered you can certainly ask here. Once you understand them, no, nitros are not that difficult, and certainly have upsides over electrics.

Ok thanks, I just had a fiddle with the big screw and turned it out three full turns from closed after reading up on it (manufacturer says 2 1/2 to run engine in then down to 1 1/2 turns) and they both started up easier then ever, I will keep trying over the next couple of weeks and see how they go and hope they are ok when I got my kids next

As long as you maintain them from the point that they are at now, it should be pretty easy. Adjust accordingly to weather, that being said, your adjustments should all be within an 1/8th to 1/4 turn away. Try the pinch test method and you should be really close.

For me i started with electric many years back. I seen the first gen of the nitro rustler and i sold my stadium biltzer and got one lol. That being said i like the hands on with the nitro, kinda stinks you can be running great one day and then your outside temps jump up or go down 10 deg and you can see some running/starting issues. I think any one that gets in to nitro needs to make sure they brake there nitro rc the right way. I would avoid a cold day brake in but i do and have done a few 40 deg day brake in my self. I think buying something that you can get parts for is the key. Sure ebay is great but when you go to you local hobby store they might turn you away if you show up with a redcat etc. I say stick with it and see where it takes you. Being on a forum helps there is a lot of good info, many guys have some good advice and links to many parts that you might need . I wish you the best of luck and i really think less is more with this stuff. Only do needle adjustments when you are up to operating temps and do not live and die by your temp gun but there a good idea . I would check you glow plug after each tank , its a good way to tell if your to lean to rich or where you SHOULD be. I tend to like to be a tad on the rich side .You will see a nice coat of oil on the bottom of the plug , you will get 90 percent of the max out of your motor and not worry about glow plug failure. I would see if there is any local guy's that can spend a hour going over things with you. I did this for a friend and he was so happy and the smile on his face made my day.

Nitro's are no trouble at all if you enjoy them like I enjoy them. I hope this helps. :thumbup:

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that you need to remove the most variables as possible so that you can run. Charged glow warmer, extra glow plugs, charged receiver batteries, using the same fuel and being stored properly, etc. This way I'm not beating my head against a wall as why I'm home and not running. I only have an rc season of April until November due to my preferences and it's also shortened because of work and golf season so every time I run I make sure I can without a hitch. I hope this helps and Youtube is your friend when you're just starting out or if you're stumped.

Plum68, where are you located? It's hard to get started in nitro in the winter. I found learning nitro to be easier in the warmer months before tacking on the hassles of a cold winter.

About 30 years ago, I was at the city fair and there happened to be a nitro on road demonstration, I remember my parents had to drag me away from those cars. At the time I had a Tamiya frog but my fascination with nitro had already begun. Since then I remember my first nitro was an RC10GT. When I was around 15 I ran the local hobby store but since I was to young to actually work the owner paid me with cars and parts. So after a year I had every car on the market at the time. After 10 years I had a pretty large collection of cars, trucks, and parts. When our economy crashed I was laid off and ended up selling all of my stuff to support my family, It took me a year to sell all of my stuff but it had to be done. Now it seems like nitro is running through my veins again with the five trucks I have now. I am a mechanic so seeing these cars is kind of cool how they have the same moving parts but much smaller. I guess I just can't get enough of this hobby. Have a great day ya'all

I agree it is quite different to get the hang of but once you do its great, the one cool thing that I find about nitro is the fact that as long as the receiver pack is charged and you have one extra glow plug, you can drive them anywhere at anytime for as long as you have nitro. I take my trucks to work since I work in the parts department of a Ferrari/Maserati Dealership and on lunch I drive them. I am trying to get some of the technicians to get one.
Yep, I am a nitro RC pusher.. its the only addiction that is good for you....

---------- Post added at 2:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:14 PM ----------

You must be tuning the top end, when you broke your engine in and how sluggish it ran and all of the smoke that comes out of the muffler, well if you make a few high speed passes and keep turning the screw in from the over rich point that you break the engine in at as soon as it seems to really hit those high rpm turn the screw in a 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn. This setting seems to work for me. In California, our weather could be 40 degrees one day and 80 the next so tuning is an everyday thing.

I love my Nitros! Actually, just bought my first electric in years, so I have something to run on an indoor course I found out about.

Nitro can be picky, but to me it's worth it. I love to tinker! The kids will drive them, but they take after me .

To each their own. Give it a run on learning to tune, but you may find electric works better for your needs.

If you get Nitro in your bloodstream, it's worse than crack. I'm buying yet another one this weekend.