Are gluing tires an absolute pain for someone who's never done it before? Any tips/tricks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_RC_Dude

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone, I'm gonna get some new, gripper tires for my buggy, and I found these tires on Amazon, not my first pick, but the tires I wanted (Remo P6973s are a bit pricey at the moment at ~$12 for a pair, or they are out of stock): https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-Hobby...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

However, like lots of RC tires on Amazon they are unglued. I have never glued RC tires before, and am planning to get some Gorilla superglue to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Supe...Gorilla+super+glue&qid=1639013980&sr=8-3&th=1
People say that it works well, was gonna get specific RC tire glue but it's 2x the price! Do any of you guys have advice to share on gluing tires, tips and tricks? Should I pay like $10 extra and get other pre-glued tires (would really prefer to just glue it myself)? How much glue should I use, and how should I manipulate the tire when gluing? Thanks everyone, I look forward to all of your informational replies!

"TRD" aka Isaac

I do one side at a time, not the whole tire at once. I mount the tire, the pull one side in, glue around the bead then install. I usually coat the bottom and side a little, but not enough to ooze out.

Best advice:
Be sure you dont glue it to yourself or the table. Ca glue seems the best. Make sure the tire bead and wheel is a match as there are traxxas side bead, then the worlds normal vertical ones, snd make sure its true before dried.

Ca glue besides hobby will work, but may not hold as long. I use ca glue from the wood shop, and have to patch here and there on my faster trucks.

I'm including a link as a visual aid so you can an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=glue+rc+tires

I use BSI IC-2000, it’s rubbery and flexible which is perfect for preventing the tire from ripping off of the wheel. I recommend using a scouring pad to scratch up the inside of the tire bead and the rim to allow the glue to stick really well.

Any ole regular super glue works. no need to pay the inflated price for special glue. The Applicator tips that Doom linked are very helpful. Just dont put it on on so thick that it oozes out all over the front face of the tire. It will still work, it just doesn't look very good :)

I use these with super glue and it makes it much easier to put it where you want it without making a mess.
Applicator Tips
Good tip (no pun intended!)! Thanks Doom, I think I may have one or two of those tips around, if I can find them lol! $10 for up to 300 tips is a good value, but I really don't need that many tips, I'll probably use one or two of those and use some again in like years. I'm gonna search some more, and see if I can find a smaller amount for less ($10 for a ton of something that I don't use often is kinda iffy). Looking at the tips of superglue bottle closely, I see that it's not nearly as fine as those tips.

Do you glue on side of the bead of the tire all at once, or in section? I'm gluing smaller 1/12/14 scale tires here, the total diameter is 76mm I believe, so I might be able to glue em in just like 1/3rd sections (since they're smaller than, say, 1/8 scale wheels)

Good tip (no pun intended!)! Thanks Doom, I think I may have one or two of those tips around, if I can find them lol! $10 for up to 300 tips is a good value, but I really don't need that many tips, I'll probably use one or two of those and use some again in like years. I'm gonna search some more, and see if I can find a smaller amount for less ($10 for a ton of something that I don't use often is kinda iffy). Looking at the tips of superglue bottle closely, I see that it's not nearly as fine as those tips.

Do you glue on side of the bead of the tire all at once, or in section? I'm gluing smaller 1/12/14 scale tires here, the total diameter is 76mm I believe, so I might be able to glue em in just like 1/3rd sections (since they're smaller than, say, 1/8 scale wheels)
I recommend Bob Smith Industries IC-2000, you can cut the nozzle size to your desired width. I have a bottle, and it lasts a while, trust me. The glue. I glue the tires in sections, it’s hard to keep going, but do it quickly before the glue bonds the wheel and tire.

I recommend Bob Smith Industries IC-2000, you can cut the nozzle size to your desired width. I have a bottle, and it lasts a while, trust me. The glue. I glue the tires in sections, it’s hard to keep going, but do it quickly before the glue bonds the wheel and tire.
Thanks, I figure if I'm gonna spend more, why not get actual glue designed for RC tires by Bob Smith Industries? https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-In...eywords=tire+glue+super&qid=1639075334&sr=8-4 I was planning to glue in sections too.

Last edited:
I do one side at a time, not the whole tire at once. I mount the tire, the pull one side in, glue around the bead then install. I usually coat the bottom and side a little, but not enough to ooze out.

Best advice:
Be sure you dont glue it to yourself or the table. Ca glue seems the best. Make sure the tire bead and wheel is a match as there are traxxas side bead, then the worlds normal vertical ones, snd make sure its true before dried.

Ca glue besides hobby will work, but may not hold as long. I use ca glue from the wood shop, and have to patch here and there on my faster trucks.

I'm including a link as a visual aid so you can an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=glue+rc+tires
Thanks Chubaka! Yes, doing the whole tires, both sides, at once would be a real feat, I highly doubt I could do a whole side at once! Got it, so after it sets, add a little more glue around the seam where the bead is glued to the rim? I was planning to do that to.

That would be bad, you've just finished gluing a tire, and then you find out it's glued to your hand or the table! What do you mean by the "match" between the bead and rim? I thought pretty much all tires could be mounted either direction (except for directional treads of course, but those aren't common). My rig tops out at around 37mph in ideal condition, but I don't drive at that speed, mostly <50% throttle average and I don't bash hard, so hopefully they won't come unglued in a hurry. Thanks for the link! I'm going to try to glue it true, but I'll probably not get it 100% true, let's just hope it won't be so bad that it blows apart at speed 🤣🤣
I use BSI IC-2000, it’s rubbery and flexible which is perfect for preventing the tire from ripping off of the wheel. I recommend using a scouring pad to scratch up the inside of the tire bead and the rim to allow the glue to stick really well.
Ok, I might order Gorilla Super Glue Gel, (linked above), or the BSI RC tire glue. Can I use sandpaper instead? Just like a light rubbing, or is there something else that's abrasive that I can use? Also, cleaning the glued spots with rubbing alchol before gluing is a good idea, same with any adhesive.
Any ole regular super glue works. no need to pay the inflated price for special glue. The Applicator tips that Doom linked are very helpful. Just dont put it on on so thick that it oozes out all over the front face of the tire. It will still work, it just doesn't look very good :)
Yup, thing is, I actually don't have any super glue right now, closest thing I have is the normal Gorilla glue. Knowing me, I'd probably layer it on and there'd be gobs of extra glue! I haven't used super glue specifically that much, suprised that only a little ring of glue (I'm gonna add a thin second layer after I've glued the tire for extra security) can hold on an RC tire! Tires go through a considerable amount of abuse! 2 of my stock tires are coming unglued on some spots, and with my new brushless system, the tires will probably wear quicker, so I though it'd be a good idea to order a new set of gripper tires to prepare. I'm not going to buy specific tire glue, you're right, it's almost 2x the price of the Gorilla super glue I linked. Thanks Grey!
I believe the Gorilla Super glue is like that too, I'll just poke a lil' hole in the front of the nozzle with a thumbtack for more control. Trust me, I'd make a terrible mess if I tried to glue one whole side in one shot!

Last edited:
Thanks Chubaka! Yes, doing the whole tires, both sides, at once would be a real feat, I highly doubt I could do a whole side at once! Got it, so after it sets, add a little more glue around the seam where the bead is glued to the rim? I was planning to do that to.

That would be bad, you've just finished gluing a tire, and then you find out it's glued to your hand or the table! What do you mean by the "match" between the bead and rim? I thought pretty much all tires could be mounted either direction (except for directional treads of course, but those aren't common). My rig tops out at around 37mph in ideal condition, but I don't drive at that speed, mostly <50% throttle average and I don't bash hard, so hopefully they won't come unglued in a hurry. Thanks for the link! I'm going to try to glue it true, but I'll probably not get it 100% true, let's just hope it won't be so bad that it blows apart at speed 🤣🤣

Ok, I might order Gorilla Super Glue Gel, (linked above), or the BSI RC tire glue. Can I use sandpaper instead? Just like a light rubbing, or is there something else that's abrasive that I can use? Also, cleaning the glued spots with rubbing alchol before gluing is a good idea, same with any adhesive.

Yup, thing is, I actually don't have any super glue right now, closest thing I have is the normal Gorilla glue. Knowing me, I'd probably layer it on and there'd be gobs of extra glue! I haven't used super glue specifically that much, suprised that only a little ring of glue (I'm gonna add a thin second layer after I've glued the tire for extra security) can hold on an RC tire! Tires go through a considerable amount of abuse! 2 of my stock tires are coming unglued on some spots, and with my new brushless system, the tires will probably wear quicker, so I though it'd be a good idea to order a new set of gripper tires to prepare. I'm not going to buy specific tire glue, you're right, it's almost 2x the price of the Gorilla super glue I linked. Thanks Grey!

I believe the Gorilla Super glue is like that too, I'll just poke a lil' hole in the front of the nozzle with a thumbtack for more control. Trust me, I'd make a terrible mess if I tried to glue one whole side in one shot!

Every tire manufacturer has beads that may be narrower or wider than the wheel its to be mated to. You just have to make sure they are compatible is all. If its the same brand it should work, mixing brands may work, or may work with some modding.

Thin CA that runs around the bead on it's own greatly helps IMHO.
Thanks HPI! That sounds helpful, but knowing me, it'll run all the way around, drip everywhere, and I'll glue my fingers together while the tire glues itself to the rim crooked! If I can keep it on track though, sounds like a great idea! Unfortunatly, I may not try this out as the wheels I wanted (Remo P6973) came back into stock a few days ago, so I'll probably get those instead (they're pre-glued). I'll probably need to re-glue them eventually from use, but thanks anyway. Now I just need to find out if the Gorilla super glue I found is that thin...
Every tire manufacturer has beads that may be narrower or wider than the wheel its to be mated to. You just have to make sure they are compatible is all. If its the same brand it should work, mixing brands may work, or may work with some modding.
Cool! The tires I linked are a set, so they should fit to each other nicely. The wheels I wanted (Remo P6973, one of the best tired and true offroad tire choices for these cars)) came back into stock a few days ago, so I'll probably get those instead (they're pre-glued). I'll probably need to re-glue them eventually from use, so all this info will be helpful!

Thanks HPI! That sounds helpful, but knowing me, it'll run all the way around, drip everywhere, and I'll glue my fingers together while the tire glues itself to the rim crooked! If I can keep it on track though, sounds like a great idea! Unfortunatly, I may not try this out as the wheels I wanted (Remo P6973) came back into stock a few days ago, so I'll probably get those instead (they're pre-glued). I'll probably need to re-glue them eventually from use, but thanks anyway. Now I just need to find out if the Gorilla super glue I found is that thin...

Cool! The tires I linked are a set, so they should fit to each other nicely. The wheels I wanted (Remo P6973, one of the best tired and true offroad tire choices for these cars)) came back into stock a few days ago, so I'll probably get those instead (they're pre-glued). I'll probably need to re-glue them eventually from use, so all this info will be helpful!
Wear tight-fitting disposable gloves to prevent you from accidentally gluing your hands together, it worked for me!

Hi everyone, I'm gonna get some new, gripper tires for my buggy, and I found these tires on Amazon, not my first pick, but the tires I wanted (Remo P6973s are a bit pricey at the moment at ~$12 for a pair, or they are out of stock): https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-Hobby...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

However, like lots of RC tires on Amazon they are unglued. I have never glued RC tires before, and am planning to get some Gorilla superglue to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Super-Glue-Gram-Clear/dp/B00OAAUAX8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Gorilla+super+glue&qid=1639013980&sr=8-3&th=1
People say that it works well, was gonna get specific RC tire glue but it's 2x the price! Do any of you guys have advice to share on gluing tires, tips and tricks? Should I pay like $10 extra and get other pre-glued tires (would really prefer to just glue it myself)? How much glue should I use, and how should I manipulate the tire when gluing? Thanks everyone, I look forward to all of your informational replies!

"TRD" aka Isaac
BTW guys I just got the Gorilla super glue, can I re-inforce already glued tires by adding another thin-ish layer of glue over the stock glue? Or will that cause issues?

You mean along the line where the bead meets the wheel? You can, why not?
I hate gluing tires almost as much as painting, although both gets easier with each time you do it :)

If you can’t pull the tire back over the rim you’re good. If they start coming off the rim later in just add some more and take note on what it looked like. Will help you learn for the future. It’s actually quick and easy to do. Just need to get the rhythm down. 1/10 scale tire probably takes me 10 seconds a tire now. Use to hate doing it. Now it’s just a normal thing.

I use ca, preferably with a tip. Little messy with out. Mount your tire on the wheel. Then I hold in my left hand and push the tire back a little with my right while putting some glue in. I will then pull back and forth to squeeze the tire to the rim to spread the ca out. You can do 1 side complete at a time. If you have any dripping out, a super quick wipe. And I mean quick to get the excess off. Use a rag and not paper towel. By the time you finish the fourth you can start on the other side of the first. If that one sticks to your hand, let them sit for another minute or 2. Puddles and drips will take forever to dry. If you run a wet bead (like a water drip) you get a little more play time before it sets. If you just get it wet, it will most likely insta grab. If that happens, just muscle it back off and reglue. Look for wet with out leaking back out on you.

I’ll run them right after gluing with no issues and thats in a 1/10 buggy with a 5.5 in it.

Then ever so often just pull on the sides of the tire to see if you have any separation. If so, add some glue.

I’ve found glue over glue is not as durable as glue to actual item. Tires and rims are flexi object. Super glue is not.

Back