Are glow plugs different threads?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfox2005

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
  3. Boating
Hey guys this might be a stupid question but are glow plugs different threads? For instance I have a super tigre .40 engine and I was going to use a O.S. plug but it seems to be the wrong thread? I just don't want to ruin the engine head by stripping the threads. Thanks guys!
@cbaker65 & @STONER RC

Yeah I know that... But I can't find anything for this older version of the engine. The O.S. plug heat should be right but it the threads that might be different? It's a super tigre .40 S engine. Not the GS.

There are 2 types of glow plugs that I know of. The most used is the standard flat seal plug that uses a flat copper ring to seal it when tightened. The thread is as mentioned above, 1/4"(diameter) x 32(threads per inch). OS and Novarossi and possibly some others also have a "turbo" plug that has a taper seal. If I remember correctly it has an 8mm(diameter) x .75mm(distance between threads).

For reference when talking threads, except when you get into pipe threads, the first number is always diameter and the second is pitch, SAE or American threads the pitch is the number of threads per inch while metric pitch denotes the distance between each thread.

Last edited:
There are 2 types of glow plugs that I know of. The most used is the standard flat seal plug that uses a plat copper ring to seal it when tightened. The thread is as mentioned above, 1/4"(diameter) x 32(threads per inch). OS and Novarossi and possibly some others also have a "turbo" plug that has a taper seal. If I remember correctly it has an 8mm(diameter) x .75mm(distance between threads).

For reference when talking threads, except when you get into pipe threads, the first number is always diameter and the second is pitch, SAE or American threads the pitch is the number of threads per inch while metric pitch denotes the distance between each thread.
^^^This! Is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

^^^This! Is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

That engine uses a standard size airplane glow plug an I believe that you can also use one with an idle bar ,but
as far as plug temp or brand ,I do not know ,but OS plugs are the go to plug ,you should be able to call any
local hobby shop that deals in planes an they will tell or sell you what type for the engine!..😎