Anyone recall these flat bottom hulls?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboncopied

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time rc enthusiast building my first boat!. It all stemmed from a childhood memory of my dad and uncles rc boat that was stored in our garage. As a child, to say I was obsessed with it would be an understatement haha. I was never able to see it on the water, or hear it run. I do recall trying to start it after school while nobody was home, who knew it was a glow engine at the time… long story short here we are 28 years later and I still remember the boat! After talking with my dad I started searching the internet for what I recall the boat looking like. I knew immediately when I saw a picture searching (vintage rc flat bottom) that I had found the gold mine! I instantly hit “buy it now” and eBay had once again came through. I believe the hull is a 1970 Lancer by Excalibur, but that’s just what I’ve gathered from research. Curious if anyone recalls these hulls or had one years ago! I’m so stoked to be building what I’d consider sentimental to me haha.
02C4D0CD-AF31-4A0E-96EB-8CA27DAC58B7.jpeg
AF04989A-E5E3-40EF-AF37-73F5520F5ED8.jpeg

Cool looking flat bottom

Thank you @Tunedpipe and @TRAT ! Looking to gain some knowledge from you well rounded boat guys, as well as possibly sharing some. It’s been a super fun build, I’m about 90% done with it and starting to see the light. Took what I’d consider a different approach to the build, some may frown on, so I’m crossing my fingers it works. I do know that it at least floats 🤓

I don't have any boats nor have I ever ran any but I would love to.
Some guys around here feel I can't run a kayak either...:D:D

Hey everyone, long time rc enthusiast building my first boat!. It all stemmed from a childhood memory of my dad and uncles rc boat that was stored in our garage. As a child, to say I was obsessed with it would be an understatement haha. I was never able to see it on the water, or hear it run. I do recall trying to start it after school while nobody was home, who knew it was a glow engine at the time… long story short here we are 28 years later and I still remember the boat! After talking with my dad I started searching the internet for what I recall the boat looking like. I knew immediately when I saw a picture searching (vintage rc flat bottom) that I had found the gold mine! I instantly hit “buy it now” and eBay had once again came through. I believe the hull is a 1970 Lancer by Excalibur, but that’s just what I’ve gathered from research. Curious if anyone recalls these hulls or had one years ago! I’m so stoked to be building what I’d consider sentimental to me haha. View attachment 159396View attachment 159395
That almost looks like a homemade copy of the Hallet Barron boats from the 60's. I know guys who used to use flat bottoms like that as drag boats, and there were several companies that built them, and some of them were hand built, but, this is the first time i have ever seen an RC of one.

That almost looks like a homemade copy of the Hallet Barron boats from the 60's. I know guys who used to use flat bottoms like that as drag boats, and there were several companies that built them, and some of them were hand built, but, this is the first time i have ever seen an RC of one.
Oddly enough I had a late 80’s Hallett semi deep v a few years back and it was red and white, another reason I’m fond of this hull. But yes, even more so on the early hulls that had more contour . Good call !

That's cool stuff. Have you put in the driveline yet? I'm about to start a shovelnose build myself. Should be fun....or a shelf queen.

Back