Anyone here into plastic model kits?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acottcc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew something about this one. It’s a mid 80s release. I’m not sure if it has any collector’s value, probably not. I found it interesting enough to buy it for $30 today. I’m debating on leaving it inbox or putting it together. It just a trailer with a canvas top.
23FC296C-AD07-4952-BC30-C049F31E87E2.jpeg

Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a model for just a semi trailer.

Had a set of them. Was intending to build them with plexi sides and use them as display cases for car models. Now I don't think I have them anymore.

I was wondering if anyone knew something about this one. It’s a mid 80s release. I’m not sure if it has any collector’s value, probably not. I found it interesting enough to buy it for $30 today. I’m debating on leaving it inbox or putting it together. It just a trailer with a canvas top. View attachment 94106

If that is an original, its 35 years old, and although the 766 is very hard to find on any site, the 745 from 1997 is roughly $100 US on ebay. However, some of the early nineties Italeri trailers are going on ebay for less than $40. With models, it all depends on the buyer. I have a bunch of late eighties/early nineties cars, and some of them are on ebay as little as $25 each, and at least one of them has been on there for quite awhile. My step dad is big into semi trucks and trailers, so i am always looking online for stuff for him, and i use ebay and garage sale and flea market sites to find a lot of stuff, and this is the first time I've seen that one anywhere, even though i do see a lot of vintage Italeri stuff, so i can't say what that particular one is worth.

They actually make quite a few different trailer models. I think my step dad probably has at least one of every Revell and AMC trailer ever made. He just recently picked up 3 new box trailers, 2 reefers, and a car hauler, along with 6 different trucks.

I have the 1974 "The Grand Superfly" pimp car by MPC, in the original box with the unopened plastic bag of parts inside. I've been meaning to see if I can find out what it's worth. Any ideas?
1106554-12192-43-pristine.jpg

I have the 1974 "The Grand Superfly" pimp car by MPC, in the original box with the unopened plastic bag of parts inside. I've been meaning to see if I can find out what it's worth. Any ideas?
1106554-12192-43-pristine.jpg
With any plastic model, it all depends on the buyer. There is typically always someone out there looking for vintage stuff, but, it all comes down to who wants it, and how many potential buyers there might be. You might find a collector willing to pay a decent price, but, then again you may not. I myself have 2 vintage (early seventies) cars, but, the most i have ever seen them go for is maybe $20, because they are just stock kits, and dont offer any customization. One is a Ford Galaxy, and one is a 1972 Chevy van, that came out in 1978. Models are an odd thing though, because most of the time, they really arent considered collectibles, except to an exceedingly rare group of people. Sites like My Model Hobby: https://www.mymodelhobby.com/MPC-models.html can sometimes be a source of what vintage kits are going for, as can Old Model Kits: https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index....-The-Grand-Superfly-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-1-0401 Models car mag: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/138180-125-mpc-the-grand-superfly/ had a discussion about it last year, you might find some useful info there.

Last edited:
I use to put a lot of models together in my teen years in the 70's & 80's ,I use to have the SS Chevy Malibu with flames ,55 Chevy ,the
red 57 Chevy ,32 ford p-up ,a 72 Blazer , that orange 69 Camaro SS even an old 3 axle Peterbuilt & trailer!

Now ,my older cousins ,they had the older ones like those T-bucket Hot rods from the 60's era ,I think that they had a few
of those George Barris cars too ,like the Munsters ,a couple of the glass top bubble cars among some other 50's stuff!

I use to put a lot of models together in my teen years in the 70's & 80's ,I use to have the SS Chevy Malibu with flames ,55 Chevy ,the
red 57 Chevy ,32 ford p-up ,a 72 Blazer , that orange 69 Camaro SS even an old 3 axle Peterbuilt & trailer!

Now ,my older cousins ,they had the older ones like those T-bucket Hot rods from the 60's era ,I think that they had a few
of those George Barris cars too ,like the Munsters ,a couple of the glass top bubble cars among some other 50's stuff!
I have been doing models since the late seventies, and currently have over 600 finished, and more than a hundred still in boxes untouched, but, not all of mine are cars. Some are boats, and i even have a stagecoach with horses. Unfortunately, due to massive space restrictions, most have been packed away for the last few years in storage, but, some of the cars i have are the original red windowed Badman '55 chevy, 4 53-56 Ford F1's, a '55 Chevy pickup, about 40 cars from between 1925 and 1940, at least 7 '57 chevys, including 2 of the nightmarish to build original Revell kits with the opening trunk and doors (not the Hot Rod repops from a few years back that came with the 55, 56, and 57, the originals from the late seventies), a bunch of BMW and Mercedes cars and trucks, and a fleet of lowriders (i grew up in southern California, and they were my favorite cars growing up), as well as several wreckers and tow trucks, as well as some Tom Daniels and movie car stuff. I attached a pic of the stagecoach i have. Was your SS Malibu the one with the tilt hood?

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 98
I have been doing models since the late seventies, and currently have over 600 finished, and more than a hundred still in boxes untouched, but, not all of mine are cars. Some are boats, and i even have a stagecoach with horses. Unfortunately, due to massive space restrictions, most have been packed away for the last few years in storage, but, some of the cars i have are the original red windowed Badman '55 chevy, 4 53-56 Ford F1's, a '55 Chevy pickup, about 40 cars from between 1925 and 1940, at least 7 '57 chevys, including 2 of the nightmarish to build original Revell kits with the opening trunk and doors (not the Hot Rod repops from a few years back that came with the 55, 56, and 57, the originals from the late seventies), a bunch of BMW and Mercedes cars and trucks, and a fleet of lowriders (i grew up in southern California, and they were my favorite cars growing up), as well as several wreckers and tow trucks, as well as some Tom Daniels and movie car stuff. I attached a pic of the stagecoach i have. Was your SS Malibu the one with the tilt hood?

Yea ,thinking back ,it was ,an not a 69 ,that was a different design car ,it was the 66 or so with the tilt hood ,I had lost all of
my models through the years from moving to different towns!

LOL....your collection is extreme ,My dad & his side of the family was located in Corona ,Riverside an Downey area ,but ,
I am North in the valley!

It was the black '66 Malibu SS with flames. I had that kit several times, and always traded it for something else. As for my collection, i never could afford the real version of the cars, so, i would build them into what i wanted if and when i ever got the chance to own the 1:1 versions, and i still keep hoping some day i might get lucky enough to own at least a few of them. I was born in North Hollywood, and raised in East Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston and moved here to N.Y. when i was 15, but i have always kept them no matter where i lived. My step dad has more than 300 Semi trucks, and 4 RC semi's, some of which he has had close to 50 years. The '69 you mentioned, was that the Hugger orange '69 Camaro with the 302 in it? I have 4 of that one, and, since i really dont like orange, one is blue, one is a custom mixed purple, one is black, and one is maroon. But, now you got my wife started on her collection, and if I'm ever going to help her finish them. Its only an El Camino, a Dodge Challenger, a Plymouth Cuda, and a Subaru WRX, but, we never seem to be able to coordinate good enough to finish them, so they have been in the boxes partially done for the last 4 years. Oddly, the only SUV i have is a Ford Bronco 2, the rest of my wheeled stuff is either cars or pickups.

It was the black '66 Malibu SS with flames. I had that kit several times, and always traded it for something else. As for my collection, i never could afford the real version of the cars, so, i would build them into what i wanted if and when i ever got the chance to own the 1:1 versions, and i still keep hoping some day i might get lucky enough to own at least a few of them. I was born in North Hollywood, and raised in East Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston and moved here to N.Y. when i was 15, but i have always kept them no matter where i lived. My step dad has more than 300 Semi trucks, and 4 RC semi's, some of which he has had close to 50 years. The '69 you mentioned, was that the Hugger orange '69 Camaro with the 302 in it? I have 4 of that one, and, since i really dont like orange, one is blue, one is a custom mixed purple, one is black, and one is maroon. But, now you got my wife started on her collection, and if I'm ever going to help her finish them. Its only an El Camino, a Dodge Challenger, a Plymouth Cuda, and a Subaru WRX, but, we never seem to be able to coordinate good enough to finish them, so they have been in the boxes partially done for the last 4 years. Oddly, the only SUV i have is a Ford Bronco 2, the rest of my wheeled stuff is either cars or pickups.

Yea ,that was the Camaro that I had ,those weren't too old though ,I am not sure what brand they were ,either a Mono or Revell ,
they were molded in color!
I also remember the old movie Movin on ,I had that truck as well ,but I think that I had a couple of the Ford trucks ,53 & 56 ,my
favorite was the 53 that I remember an not the 56!..LOL

I had also had that Quick Silver Chevy wagon with the yellow tinted windows ,have you ever seen that one?

Yea ,that was the Camaro that I had ,those weren't too old though ,I am not sure what brand they were ,either a Mono or Revell ,
they were molded in color!
I also remember the old movie Movin on ,I had that truck as well ,but I think that I had a couple of the Ford trucks ,53 & 56 ,my
favorite was the 53 that I remember an not the 56!..LOL

I had also had that Quick Silver Chevy wagon with the yellow tinted windows ,have you ever seen that one?
You mean this one? I actually sold one of them not too long ago, since i had 3 of them. My step dad has i think 2 of the movin on truck. I liked the 53-56 Ford Panel Wagons myself. As for the pickup, i preferred the 56.

Attachments

• vintage-original-monogram-chevy_1_1331803708c609428fcba8926656ad69.jpg
    vintage-original-monogram-chevy_1_1331803708c609428fcba8926656ad69.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 236
  • vintage-original-monogram-chevy_1_1331803708c609428fcba8926656ad69 (1).jpg
    vintage-original-monogram-chevy_1_1331803708c609428fcba8926656ad69 (1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 86
  • vintage-original-monogram-chevy_1_1331803708c609428fcba8926656ad69 (2).jpg
    vintage-original-monogram-chevy_1_1331803708c609428fcba8926656ad69 (2).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 105
You mean this one? I actually sold one of them not too long ago, since i had 3 of them. My step dad has i think 2 of the movin on truck. I liked the 53-56 Ford Panel Wagons myself. As for the pickup, i preferred the 56.

Yea ,that's the one ,an I always loved those old panel trucks ,my dad ,had a 1.1 Dodge panel that I liked ,but he took the hole
freakin front clip off an put it on the pick-up ,the front was awesome looking on it ,I guess that he didn't like the head lamps
style on the truck that stuck out the ones on the panel truck was a horse shoe shape!

My mom & dad divorced in the early 70's ,an my dad use to pick me up on the w-ends an go camping in that truck ,it
was a lot of fun ,but then he moved to Texas & Oklahoma area ,LOL....we went fishin one time in that Lake Texoma an
got caught in a thunder storm ,it scared the hell out of us ,being in a 14' boat at night an a couple miles from the shore ,
it was like being in a dang ocean with rough seas ,my dad had to lay on the bow to transfer the weight an keep it down as
I steered the boat to land!....Lake Texoma is no joke in a storm!

Yea ,that's the one ,an I always loved those old panel trucks ,my dad ,had a 1.1 Dodge panel that I liked ,but he took the hole
freakin front clip off an put it on the pick-up ,the front was awesome looking on it ,I guess that he didn't like the head lamps
style on the truck that stuck out the ones on the panel truck was a horse shoe shape!

My mom & dad divorced in the early 70's ,an my dad use to pick me up on the w-ends an go camping in that truck ,it
was a lot of fun ,but then he moved to Texas & Oklahoma area ,LOL....we went fishin one time in that Lake Texoma an
got caught in a thunder storm ,it scared the hell out of us ,being in a 14' boat at night an a couple miles from the shore ,
it was like being in a dang ocean with rough seas ,my dad had to lay on the bow to transfer the weight an keep it down as
I steered the boat to land!....Lake Texoma is no joke in a storm!
Just for the hell of it i pulled the first box i could reach out of my closet, and found the newer version of the nightmare '57 that the doors and trunk open (the reason i call it a nightmare is because none of the body panels line up, and it takes forever sanding and filling to get them right), as well as a few others. None of the cars in the pics I'm gonna post are less than 20 years old. The BMW 635 is 31 years old this year. The Petty car is from '98, the Paddy Wagon is from 97, the '57 is from '88, and, of the ones on the shelf, that, yes, i know need to be dusted, the Badman is from '85, the green '55 is from '89, the purple '40 Ford is from the early to mid '80's (that one, the doors open, and the windows go up and down), and the blue convertible Ford, which has a matching trailer, is from '96 or '97. As for Texas storms, i know all about them. I shuttled back and forth between Southern California, Texas, Nevada, and Colorado from the time i was born until i was almost 16, and got caught in many Texas twisters, as they called them. As for the small boat, no thanks. My last "adventure" if you will, on a small boat was in snake river canyon when i was 6, and it turned into a storm. No thank you. We were on a small runabout. Ever since then, the smallest boat i have been on is a Coast Guard RHIB, and only rarely.

Attachments

• KIMG0077.jpg
    KIMG0077.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 83
  • KIMG0078.jpg
    KIMG0078.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 93
  • KIMG0079.jpg
    KIMG0079.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 91
  • KIMG0080.jpg
    KIMG0080.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 98
  • KIMG0081.jpg
    KIMG0081.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG0087.jpg
    KIMG0087.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 100
  • KIMG0090.jpg
    KIMG0090.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 87
  • KIMG0093.jpg
    KIMG0093.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Just for the hell of it i pulled the first box i could reach out of my closet, and found the newer version of the nightmare '57 that the doors and trunk open (the reason i call it a nightmare is because none of the body panels line up, and it takes forever sanding and filling to get them right), as well as a few others. None of the cars in the pics I'm gonna post are less than 20 years old. The BMW 635 is 31 years old this year. The Petty car is from '98, the Paddy Wagon is from 97, the '57 is from '88, and, of the ones on the shelf, that, yes, i know need to be dusted, the Badman is from '85, the green '55 is from '89, the purple '40 Ford is from the early to mid '80's (that one, the doors open, and the windows go up and down), and the blue convertible Ford, which has a matching trailer, is from '96 or '97. As for Texas storms, i know all about them. I shuttled back and forth between Southern California, Texas, Nevada, and Colorado from the time i was born until i was almost 16, and got caught in many Texas twisters, as they called them. As for the small boat, no thanks. My last "adventure" if you will, on a small boat was in snake river canyon when i was 6, and it turned into a storm. No thank you. We were on a small runabout. Ever since then, the smallest boat i have been on is a Coast Guard RHIB, and only rarely.

Those are awesome ,is that a Willy's that I see?
Also ,I remember an old Paddy wagon version ,I think that there was an older version that was out that my cousin had!
I had never messed with the type that had actual moving doors ,just hood!

Those are awesome ,is that a Willy's that I see?
Also ,I remember an old Paddy wagon version ,I think that there was an older version that was out that my cousin had!
I had never messed with the type that had actual moving doors ,just hood!
The last pic, which is kind of dark, is a black 33 Ford, that i have had since i was around 10 or 11, and the blue one is a 35 ford 5 window coupe with working rumble seat. The only Willy's i currently have that isn't in a box stored away is a '41 tilt nose gasser that is currently sitting on my needs work table in pieces. There were actually 5 different versions of the Paddy Wagon, one in black with chrome accents, one in black with gold accents, one in black with gold accents and the two police figures, one in blue with white accents, and the one in the pic, which is blue with gold accents, and comes with the two police figures. I have 3 of the 5, but i don't have the first issue (black with chrome accents), or the blue one with the gold accents without the police figures. I have about 20 of Tom Daniels cars. He is the one who created the Beer Wagon, Paddy Wagon, Badman, Mother's Pie's Wagon, and a whole host of different hot rod and race car themed stuff. I think he made a total of over 90 different models, and even the Quick Silver was one of his. I've done quite a few cars where the doors, trunk/tailgate/hatch opens, but that '57, from the very first issue was that way, and i think all they did is reuse the same original molds every time they re-released it, because every version of it was that way. Years ago, my step dad and i would go all out and build cars and take them to model shows, but, after awhile they kind of dropped off, and we kind of lost interest in putting that much effort into it anymore, but i have built cars with working lights, including dome lights that turned on and off when you open and close the door, engine sounds, smoke from the exhaust, cars that hopped and had scale hydraulics, and even a Ford F-1 that the hood would open just by touching it lightly.

Back