Anyone have experience with yokomo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I'm looking into a yokomo sd9 sport kit for my wife's Christmas present as she has decided on an on road car this time around however the only on road cars I've had in the past were a nitro rs4 and a losi xxx_s sport rtr. I've been around the hobby over 20 years but never dealt with yokomo. There doesn't seem to be any parts for the sd9 but plenty for bd9 and bd10 if those parts would work on the sd9 I'd be ok with that. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I'm looking into a yokomo sd9 sport kit for my wife's Christmas present as she has decided on an on road car this time around however the only on road cars I've had in the past were a nitro rs4 and a losi xxx_s sport rtr. I've been around the hobby over 20 years but never dealt with yokomo. There doesn't seem to be any parts for the sd9 but plenty for bd9 and bd10 if those parts would work on the sd9 I'd be ok with that. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Yokomo are pretty durable cars, and dont usually need parts, but, when they do, the only places i know of you can get parts at are A-Main and Ebay. I dont have an SD9. Mine is a BD8, and getting parts sometimes can be hard. The other consideration is that the Yokomo cars are a kit, and dont come RTR, or even complete, so you have to also factor in the needed parts (motor, ESC, body, wheels and tires, radio and receiver, and battery). Are you looking to race it, or just run it on the road or in a park?

Yokomo are pretty durable cars, and dont usually need parts, but, when they do, the only places i know of you can get parts at are A-Main and Ebay. I dont have an SD9. Mine is a BD8, and getting parts sometimes can be hard. The other consideration is that the Yokomo cars are a kit, and dont come RTR, or even complete, so you have to also factor in the needed parts (motor, ESC, body, wheels and tires, radio and receiver, and battery). Are you looking to race it, or just run it on the road or in a park?
It will be used solely on road and parking lots. It's something my wife is looking into as far as another kit. We built smt10s together and now she wants an on road car. I was just looking at price point as its 169 for the sd kit. Shes experienced enough to make the choice for body wheels and electronics now and shes hooked lol.

It will be used solely on road and parking lots. It's something my wife is looking into as far as another kit. We built smt10s together and now she wants an on road car. I was just looking at price point as its 169 for the sd kit. Shes experienced enough to make the choice for body wheels and electronics now and shes hooked lol.
I bought my BD8 used, and then, after waiting literally 5 weeks for a part to come in, i ended up buying 2 Tamiya TT-02's, and a couple of these: https://www.redcatracing.com/products/lightning-stk-on-road-car?variant=31050522558554
Granted, they arent as durable as the Yokomo, but parts, especially for the Tamiya cars, as well as plastic, carbon, and aluminum upgrades that are readily available for both the Tamiya and the Redcat made them better choices for me. I dont race, all i ever do is either goof off in the street out front of my house, or in a local abandoned school parking lot, and the Yokomo seems to be more of a racer. I also have a few of the Tamiya TT-02 rally variants, since i do that and SCT's more than anything else.

The SD9 is way different than the BD9 and BD10. The biggest difference is the SD is shaft drive and the BD is belt drive. The parts are not interchangeable, except for the wheels. Is there a reason she want's Yokomo? Those are really hard parts to get unless you live in Japan. You can find parts on the internet pretty easy, but when they go out of production, then you're screwed because not a lot of shops stock up on extra parts for those.

For $230, she can get a Kyosho Fazer 02 RTR. If it's a kit she wants, a Fazer is about $180. They have a ton of hop ups available and have a bunch of different bodies to chose from.

I didnt even think of the Kyosho Fazer. Dollar Hobbyz sometimes has rollers pretty reasonably. As far as i know they are new. They even appear quite often new on eBay, or did the last time i looked about a year ago or so. A-Main has several versions of it, from a roller chassis: https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...ing-car-rolling-chassis-kit-kyo34461/p1220506 to RTR's: https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...ing-car-rolling-chassis-kit-kyo34461/p1220506

You can get them in on road, rally, and off road versions, and there are a ton of parts available, as AClegg said.

The SD9 is way different than the BD9 and BD10. The biggest difference is the SD is shaft drive and the BD is belt drive. The parts are not interchangeable, except for the wheels. Is there a reason she want's Yokomo? Those are really hard parts to get unless you live in Japan. You can find parts on the internet pretty easy, but when they go out of production, then you're screwed because not a lot of shops stock up on extra parts for those.

For $230, she can get a Kyosho Fazer 02 RTR. If it's a kit she wants, a Fazer is about $180. They have a ton of hop ups available and have a bunch of different bodies to chose from.
I'll check the fazer out. I'm not familiar with kyosho vehicles as far as how they drive or build but that could have been said for axial until we bought the smt10s. Redcat I'll just stay away from altogether as I bought an earthquake 3.5 in a lot last December and while i did finish an electric conversion on it I'm just not impressed with their stuff overall. I'll look into a traxxas 4tec and do some comparisons. Thanks for the info guys much appreciated

The Fazer platform is pretty solid. Especially for street. Kyosho designed as a multipurpose platform. They use this platform on on-road, off-road, and even for monster trucks. The Kyosho Mad Van uses the same platform. There are a few kids around here that have these and they are pretty quick for a $200 RTR.

I bought mine (the blue/white 69 Camaro) as an RTR, but, i really havent run it enough to give much of an opinion on it. Every once in awhile i start thinking i want an on-road or drift car, so i get one, run it a couple times, then stick it in a box until i feel like messing with it again.

Back