anyone else has this defect?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petal2thametal

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi "again"

i posted another thread early this morning about the savage ss slipper clutch not working or stripping down a gear in break in cycle.

but after i took the engine off i could turn the flywheel by hand. i was like :8-0: i wrecked my engine!!! but after a closer look the compression was okey and only the flywheel was spinning.

i took the engine apart and discovered that the golden "thingy" (see pic) that goes first on the sg shaft was stripped.
this accured in the second tank break in. everything is completely new.
does this happen a lot? or did i do something wrong?

the slipper clutch is all the way down btw. it came that way from the factory. does this has a connection to what happend?

Attachments

• savagethingy.JPG
    savagethingy.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 134
The golden "thingy" you are refering to is the clutch nut. I'm not really sure how you managed to strip that. Maybe it was loose from the factory and the rotation of the engine casued the premature wear. I would call HPI and tell them what happened. They should send a new part out free of charge. Of course it's not like it's an expensive part.

That gold thing is the flywheel collet. It wedges in between the flywheel and the crankshaft when you tighten the flywheel nut. The collet’s "wedge" is what secures the flywheel to the crankshaft. I suspect that your flywheel nut came loose. Tighten it back up and use red loc-tite.

DOH. My bad. Rossb is correct. I didn't even notice circle you made in the picture.

On every flywheel I've installed, I've needed to put shims behind it so it will bite down when I tighten the flywheel nut. If you use shims, make sure they aren't any larger in diameter than the back side of the cone.

On mine, the one problem I've had is the collet getting a shave and finding golf specs all over the rear of the truck.

That's because it's slipping. You need to get it tighter so it doesn't slip. It's a crappy design, but with a few shims, you can really get that clutch nut good and tight.

If your seeing gold flecks on the chassis, there's a good chance you may need to replace the flywheel as well. Check where the collet sits in the flywheel and see if the flywheel is worn. If the collet is worn, get a new one.

I'm with olds you need shims and you need the thin (as in diameter not thickness) ones so the clutch shoes dont hit them i always run a few just passed the treads on the crank so you can get it real tight i never used lock tite and it has never come loose

thnx guys for the help.

i just ordered a new collet, springs and shoes. i may be :stupid: but
what kind of shims are you guys using? with shims you mean the shims that goes between a side exhaust and engine? and where do i put the shims behind?

:cheers:

Actually, I put the shims behind the flywheel so the collet has something to butt up against as I tighten the flywheel nut...

Anyway, petel2themetal, your talking about gaskets, not shims... at least that's what I think your talking about. Shims are like thin metal/nylon (depending on what your buying) washers that allow you to use 2 or 3 or 10 to get spacing right on things.

Before I put the collet on the crank shaft, I put shims on, put the collet on, put the cb on with bearings just to see where things need to be.

Here's a link to a shim kit OFNA Shim Kit

olds97_lss said:
That's because it's slipping. You need to get it tighter so it doesn't slip. It's a crappy design, but with a few shims, you can really get that clutch nut good and tight.

If your seeing gold flecks on the chassis, there's a good chance you may need to replace the flywheel as well. Check where the collet sits in the flywheel and see if the flywheel is worn. If the collet is worn, get a new one.

Ya, I thought it was maybe slipping. In the winter when I re-build the whole truck, I'll be sure to get it good and tight.

olds97_lss said:
Anyway, petel2themetal, your talking about gaskets, not shims...

OFNA Shim Kit

hmnzzz.. ya now i know what they are. was thinking at something completely different. stupid me. should know better.
i stil have some left. ill go check what size they are.and go put them behind the flywheel next time.

thnx m8

Back