Any one try the Trophy Case RC Flip Top Aluminum Fuel Tank?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just checking to see if anyone has used this tank on a XTM 21 conversion. Or at all for that matter.

I tried the SlimLine Aluminum fuel tank and I hate the screw top cap. It gets gritty after some use, it's slow to refill and a general pain when your fingers are numb.

I know the aluminum shouldn't be necessary, but I've broken 7 stock tanks with only one of them being a direct impact on the tank itself. The rest were from hard landings?

Any info will be appreciated.

Here's the site for the one I'm asking about:
http://www.trophyclassrc.com/_wsn/page6.html

Here's a pic for the one I'm asking about:
FUELCELL3.jpg

Here's a pic of the pain SlimLine tank. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice tank, just awkward to use.

EDIT - stupid tower and thier no linkingness.

EDIT - Here's the slimline on my maxx:
T-Maxx-BodyOff-throttleservoplate2.jpg

Last edited:
Sup dude,

DANG, that's an ugly freaking tank. How old is the guy doing the welds on those?? Unless your really need a fliptop, I've seen some killler alluminum tanks with alluminum caps for like $55-60. I'll find you some links bro.

I've only seen the two I listed. If you know of more, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I know. The welds look like a drunken idiot did them. But if it holds up, who cares. If you've seen my pics of my truck, you'd know that I go for function more than looks.

The welds on the tank corners actually look professional but the ones around the cap are less skillful. Overall it looks like a bash worthy tank the only down side is weight which shouldn't be too bad.

They look like pretty beefy welds to me, especially around the cap of the tank.

Ya that is freakin weird tank.

You think they could have smoothed out the welds on that thing.

Actually, I believe those welds are near textbook welds. They're supposed to kind look like the indent of a row of nickels...something like that (I saw it on Rides)

I think it just looks worse due to it not being polished like everything else we buy that is Aluminum. It's kind of dull and dingy looking.

I do like how it looks, but i'm concerned on the clearence on the top corners for roll overs. As I run my truck with half bodies due to destroying them within 20 minutes of bad driving. So I have to worry about the clearence between the top of my roll bar to my rear shock tower to the top of the left rear wheel. Otherwise on a roll over, I'll be grinding off the top of the tank.

I know, I know, learn how to drive... :rolleyes:

But driving badly is half the fun! :D Right?

And I am looking specifically for a flip top, as the screw top blows. To time consuming and think about it, every time I screw and unscrew the cap, little aluminum fibers are going into the fuel. Who needs that? I have enough problems.

Looks like a good weld job to me... You have to remember, welding aluminum is an art form. It's not easy, I've tried.. Your first obstacle is finding the right heat to use... A novice will burn through probably 15 tanks before getting it right... lol Not to mention how small these tanks are, makes it that much trickier..
I know, I'm sure there's a bunch of professional welders in these forums that will say its cake.... lol

As long as it doesn't leak, who cares anyway. If your making a show truck, go with the slimline. If you want functionality, don't.

Originally posted by ImBroken
Looks like a good weld job to me... You have to remember, welding aluminum is an art form. It's not easy, I've tried.. Your first obstacle is finding the right heat to use... A novice will burn through probably 15 tanks before getting it right... lol Not to mention how small these tanks are, makes it that much trickier..
I know, I'm sure there's a bunch of professional welders in these forums that will say its cake.... lol

Imbroken is right, I have also welded and it is a difficult skill to master. My welds were more crude because they were repairing farm trailors or on poles.

I have the tcrc tank. It holds up great to abuse. The problem I had with the tank was the mount for the fuel cap. It wasn't mounted where the cap would get a good seal. Closing the cap would cause the rim of the tank to tear a chunck out of the o ring. Now it sits in a box collecting dust.

Originally posted by nitro zombie
I have the tcrc tank. It holds up great to abuse. The problem I had with the tank was the mount for the fuel cap. It wasn't mounted where the cap would get a good seal. Closing the cap would cause the rim of the tank to tear a chunck out of the o ring. Now it sits in a box collecting dust.

Want to sell it?

Back