Antenna Tube/Sleeve lnstall....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG.rc

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
l've never run an antenna outside the body of an RC. Any instructions/video or tips on this.??

I'm confused, do you mean that you want to have the antenna sticking out of the body?

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I have 14 RC cars and not one antenna is sticking out of the body and have yet to run out of signal.

dont put tube in a shear point .you will lose signal if its a fm/am if not outside body

As a rule-of-thumb, generally try to make the antenna wire run from the receiver to the antenna pipe as short as possible. Without trimming the lead length, of course. But then, that becomes a compromise in determining how long or short to make the antenna pipe depending on the installation.

Additionally, if possible, locate the receiver away from any spurious signal generator, such as a motor or servo. Caveat, I have mounted receivers atop servos with no adverse operational results. Still, I try not to do it.

Carbon fibre, being a conductor of sorts, manufacturers are sleeving their antenna leads to isolate them from [possible] signal capture and drain off from the CF. Fortunately, even sleeved, the antenna lead still slips into an antenna pipe. Regrettably, it is now difficult to cap off an antenna pipe. Antenna pipe caps tend to prevent poking an eye out when marshalling a car and also offer protection to the antenna lead.

This is becoming moot, as more and more manu's are offering receivers with internal antennas. My preference, albeit old-school, is for an external antenna. Ergo, all the above.

Curious? What are your plans for an external antenna? Why do you want one? Regards. 'AC'

The Tekno Truggy came with an antenna pipe and cap. The Sanwa receiver has an antenna thats about 7 inches long. So l figure l'd use the pipe and cap to help keep it 'organized'. l don't like the antenna floating around on the inside with the possibility of it ending up in the nip of the Spur and Pinion gear that is exposed.

Also..... My Typhon has Spektrum electronics. l'm not a Spektrum fan. Brown outs are real. Ask me how l know. (think rc planes) Well guess what.... l have horrible range issues with my Typhon.(at 100ft.) So l'd like to get the antenna outside the body. l can appreciate the thoughts that internal antenna's work. But... How can having the antenna outside hurt.??

To get back to my original question..... lf l use the antenna pipe does it get mounted somehow.?? l like how l'm rigging it now BUT l have to handle the antenna every time l run. l don't think that will work over the long run.

Hey RPG. Many manufacturers have a provision on the chassis for an antenna pipe. Not sure if yours does. If not, it will be necessary to fabricate one and ream a hole in the body for antenna pipe pass-through.

Here is an example of how it was done on one of my dragster chassis. Antenna pipe inserted into a short length of nitro fuel tube, then clamped to a fibreglass bracket by a nylon clamp. All held in place with a 4-40 screw and nut. Allow room under the fabricated mount for the antenna lead out to the receiver. Is this what you are asking to do? If not, please ask again. Cheers. 'AC'

[Edit: After opening the attachment, single click on the image again for a closer view. Also, to the left on the body is the antenna pass-through.]
[Second Edit: found another fabricated mount on an RC10T2 mod I made. Similar design using a nylon block thru-bolted to the chassis floor.]

Attachments

• S6301147.JPG
    S6301147.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200304_125125_resize RCT.jpg
    20200304_125125_resize RCT.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Nice install AC.!! That looks great. You answered my question in this way..... lt's a permanent install. l see what l need to do. Now l just need to think of how to do it. Aluminum chassis. Should be fun. Thanks buddy. l can tell you're good at this stuff.

Thanks, RPG. Here is an antenna mount. 3mm screw secures it to chassis or mount. Antenna wire passes thru slot on the side. I'll mail it to you if you can use it. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20220226_085351_resize RCT.jpg
    20220226_085351_resize RCT.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 38
Back